How much western blockout is enough?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lizzie, 6th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Okay - one slight hiccup on my house plan/build. The external shade blind for our very large western window (back of the house, living area) doesn't quite stretch sideways far enough - great until around now, when the sun is moving further south and peaks around the edge.

I don't want to put on internal blinds/curtains and clutter up the inside, and/or cover the louvre windows, so am looking at installing an external fixed screen in the next structural bay over from the pull down screen ... something like this ... there is no real view out that direction.

Deisgn Flow - Lattice and pickets - fencing design Melbourne

So question in - for the western sun - would you go 59 or 72% blockout?

2. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Oh, I though this was another China thread...

3. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

What sort of glazing have you got there? Do you have the shgc of the window? That will determine how much you need to screen it too

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Low-e glass ... so very good at keeping inside cool and warm - until hit directly by that westerly sun

low-e glass types and benefits of a low-e coating on glass

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

All quiet on the Western Front?

6. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I would go 65% by adding some holes to the 59% screen

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think I'd go over 70%

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

At least 72%

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Though stopping the sun hitting the external surface of the glass is the most effective way of reducing heat load

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Have you considered tinting? My son’s bedroom faces west and even though it’s shadowed by the carport most of the day it gets really hot, maybe from pavers etc heating up. I’m not sure what products are available and how effective they are for reducing heat but as a quick fix we tried a frosted sticker product and application spray from Bunnings just on one window and it’s cooler. The bottoms of the windows are already tinted in a see through tint from previous owner.
    Window Film - Bunnings Australia

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I like bloom, bubbles and love cubes. Don't like magnolia as much - maybe because it looks heavier. But I like them all and my initial thought was to go for higher block out.
    Trees are not a possibility? A cluster of glauca ie pencil pine or callistemon?

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards the 72% ... they are only $135 plus self install - so if it doesn't work, then not the end of the world and I'll find somewhere else in the garden to put it

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I've got two dwarf apples and a couple of table grape vines in the garden bed, a metre below the window - but neither will grow high enough to block the sun at it's arching zenith :D - and I don't want all year shade so that rules out a lot

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Remember you will also be blocking light in winter if it is a fixed screen.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We chose this type of product on our development and had to block out 75% for privacy (but those windows also happen to face west), so we had the "stock" design altered to the exact percentage to get it certified.

For what you are requiring, I'd go 72% but I'd also wonder about having it able to slide away so you don't have it there all the time, blocking the view.

What sort of view would you be blocking if it is fixed in place?

And is the external shade blind able to be raised and lowered as you need or want the shade? If so, could you add another to match in the next bay rather than introduce something different?

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No particular view - just rooftops with some glorious sunsets

I like the adjustable shade, so we can get the winter sun in, but the other panel is to high to reach. Another issue with the shade is that, when we get the roaring westerly winds, it does give the sprung cloth havoc.

Photo below - show the shade down - and the right hand side is where we want to fill. Hubby put some vertical panels in today, to see if they would work - and nup. The mesh below the space is where the grape will eventually climb up for summer shade, and you can also see the juvenile apple trees under the window

20211106_181521.jpg

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Mine grow 3 metres or so high. They end up on the roof. Maybe you could try to buy a mature one? I meant to pot up and sell half of mine over winter.

Attached Files:

Lizzie likes this.
  18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Looks gorgeous! That is the result I'm hoping for ... atm they're twiddling their thumbs and not doing anything much ... planted this year and getting used to the soils/location

Propin likes this.
  19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes these could be up to 35 years old so the main trunk is about 2m high. We gave them a big trim about 18 months ago. Of course if it was me I’d have a large frangipani in a large pot on my patio to solve my problems for a few years!

Attached Files:

Sackie, Lizzie and WattleIdo like this.
  20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Lizzie do you reach the one already installed from the top deck? We added similar looking blinds on a western facing deck and they have a long handle (from memory). No way could a shorter person (like me) reach them to raise or lower them, so the handle sorts that out. I wonder if you can look at something like that?