How much value do plans & permits add?

Discussion in 'Development' started by dan_89, 28th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is ridiculously cheap, I would want to look at their projects/designs. I paid $20K for 8 apartments and that was 8 years ago in Melb

melbournian likes this.
  2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I find a lot of architects are Greeks. It was cheap due to a cousin of mine having a connection (married to an ambassador of Greece in an Asian country meaning direct access to a lot of high level ppl )A lot of these guys u have to push them.

Check out this site 11 Clarendon st thornbury grz2 on 409sqm 4 townhouses. It is either the architect is that good or a lawyer is good

Eh Lu orang Indo ?

I'll pm u the details

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

From memory, fixed (enough) to cover most situations. It's a while since I got the figures and the specific stuff are hazy.

4. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

@Iamnumber5 I've pm your the details

The ones I go to specialize in certain councils. Even the lawyer I go to was a previous planner in the council. My friend who runs his own startup architect (who owns builds in balwyn, kew, hawthorn ) - is more familiar with the council he does in (as in boorondara) and more prefers to do in that area.

just my personal opinion being you're intending to keeping this and you got some semi commercial sites - why not go for a brand name architect like those in the "nightingdale housing". Their apartments were like in demand and had a waiting list of like hundreds (in Brunswick, Fairfield) though they're very green focus

Home

Or could try this guy (john demos) - he did an 84 apartment permit I believe which friend flipped it.
    Maybe since you're keeping them (you want an architect with some reputation to it - though it would be more expensive - but long term - the name sticks like those nightingale projects)

I think there is minimal value in asking interstate developers outside VIC(as each state is different, in codes, regulations and even each council's attitudes in Melbourne are different)
    Another contact would be the Indonesian Xsynergy Group (they sell and lease) but also develop their own custom dev projects in Clayton, Mount Waverley, Burwood. The founder used to own chains of Korean kimchi grandma restaurants and they do consultancy for devs etc (maybe worthwhile having a chat to them and brainstorm ideas and network/contacts)

Vince-VX likes this.
  5. frank22

frank22 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of getting planning approval for 3BV single storey unit at the back of an existing 3BV investment property. The project is in the suburb of seaford vic. I was wondering if someone could tell me if I need the all the permits ie engineering ,subdivision etc if i decide to sell or would the DA suffice . The current value in that neck of seaford ,1 km from the beach is $700 to $750K ,I was informed it would add another $200K after approval ?

6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

@frank22

My understanding of your site is you have an existing dwelling at the front with a large backyard, you are getting DA for a new townhouse at the rear, is that correct?

You can sell the whole site at any stage.

To sell the rear half only, or to sell the front half only, you would need to get the DA and finalise the subdivision. Actually, you can sell the front and rear half at any stage aswell (although you should at least get the DA as purchasers probably wouldnt purchase without it), but to 'settle' and get your money you would need the subdivision to be finalised.

As far as uplift in price from getting the DA, others on here might be better placed to comment. But i wouldnt imagine there would be a large uplift from getting a DA for a two lotter.

7. frank22

frank22 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of getting a DA for single storey unit at the back approx 174M2 with DG.I was thinking of selling the whole lot not the rear or front. Without a DA it is worth around $750K for the 752M2 block with the existing 3BV house on it . Once i get the DA from council ,I was wondering if that would suffice, or do I need to get the engineering and working drawings too prior to selling .