How much to replace an asbestos roof

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by MondeoMan, 15th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MondeoMan

MondeoMan Well-Known Member

Hi i am looking at a property when i went to view today the agent said i must warn you it has an asbestos roof. How much of a big deal is it. Why did she tell me? Do u have to warn possbile tenants? I didnt think it was a problem if not disturbed.

Is it a runaway situation?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Not necessarily a runaway situation.

No need to do anything if it is in good condition. If brittle, asbestos can be dangerous to walk on.

Costs more to replace than a non asbestos roof. I had mine replaced by a roofing company that also removed the asbestos.

A call to a roofing company with the size of the roof will be you a replacement cost estimate. Get any asbestos roof penetrations (flues) removed at the same time if you can.

Also depends on your aims - if you are buying to rebuild eventually , then no need to consider replacing ...

When you get the building inspection done see if they can have a look at it (from the ladder) to asses condition.

MTR likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, only a problem in bad condition, I would avoid anyone walking on it either way.

Extra cost is in removing and disposing of asbestos, but it is done quite a bit, some people change when not required.

ellejay likes this.
  4. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi, she told you because she wanted to disclose everything relevant to the sale and didn't want to be accused of hiding something later. this is good practice.

I am not aware of any laws requiring tenants be informed of external asbestos roof sheeting. Here is some of the relevant info for NSW and VIC
    Asbestos and lead | Tenants NSW
    Tenants - Asbestos
    The loose fill insulation is however a big problem, very different to hard sheeting.

Personally its about the condition, the amenity and the numbers, plenty of investment properties make sense with asbestos. My parents still live in the fibro house I grew up in. Some clients are more worried so we rule any effected homes out of our short listing process.

5. Mr Dabolina

Mr Dabolina Well-Known Member

Agree with @dabbler & @BuyersAgent only an issue if it is brittle/bad condition as you are not supposed to fix asbestos roof. In saying this, I have one on a property and we used some sikaflex to fix a couple of areas that looked like could cause some leaking. If you want to remove the roof sheets - it is a fairly expensive activity which is dependant on the size of the house, type of sheet (some asbestos sheets heavier) but I'd say in the range of $5-9K, then you have the new roof sheets which will once again on average be about $10-12K.

jim1964 likes this.
  6. au contraire

au contraire Well-Known Member

The problem is that super six is brittle by nature. And the roof would have to be about 40 years old. I would factor the removal cost into my offer

7. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

yes for investing I would normally just ask myself the question: if I buy this house and at some stage spend 20-25k on the roof (remember we are adding value to the house too whilst in the process) upgrading to colorbond, does it ruin my investment here? If the numbers still work, then proceed, if not, move along.

8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Don't forget also that if it's a rental property, the cost of removing asbestos that has become dangerous is immediately deductible. There have also been a few cases where the cost of replacement work is deductible, too - that means a new roof might be claimed at 100% as opposed to 2.5%pa.

wylie, TheRons, Lacrim and 8 others like this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Cost... depends on how large a roof it is. Allow 5k for disposal and roof space vaccuum for an average sized roof, and then about 12k-15k for a new one

10. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

I would consider removing an asbestos roof to be an absolute necessity - even more so than wall sheeting. The product, James Hardie Super Six, is extremely brittle, and fibers become loose easily, filling up the roof cavity. Asbestos is a silent killer which needs to be taken seriously.

As for the cost - a few thousand, but definitely worth it.

Whitecat likes this.
  11. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I would allow $20k is what I hear thrown around. Which looks like it matches what others have said.

bob shovel likes this.
  12. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Just had an asbestos roof replaced this year on a 3 bedroom place in Brisbane. They removed all the asbestos, vacuumed the ceiling of any asbestos dust, installed a new colourbond roof, gutters and down pipes for $13600 total inc. GST.

I had quotes close to 20k so definitely shop around. Very happy with the job

Archaon, ellejay, Kirstend and 9 others like this.
  13. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

That is interesting :). Who would determine if it is "dangerous", for deduction purposes?

14. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Any asbestos roofing has been there for a long time. It will be fragile - 'friable' is a word often used when referring to asbestos that is weathered. That stuff is one hail storm away from being a real problem. If I was getting asbestos removed from a rental property, I would make sure the word 'friable' appears on a receipt. The government is pretty keen for asbestos to be removed from houses.

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd like contact details please!

Archaon likes this.
  16. dabbler

So are diesel cars and trucks and many other things we eat and ingest, if the tenant does not sleep in the roof space or start dismantling walls or doing malicious damage, then more likely something else will be killing them :)

17. dabbler

Well there ya go, get a 20k discount then do the rood if reqd.

18. Chardy

Chardy New Member

May I ask who you used as I want to get my roof done also and I'm in Brisbane?

19. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Just inboxed you

Archaon likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Actually you would not believe how hardy and duriable asbestos roofing is.

Been told this by the professionals, as long as it is maintained, main thing is not to disturb fibres, can be old but can also be in excellent condition

We have a beach house asbestos roof, 1 street back from beach, winters severe, its probably 35 year old asbestos roof, key maintainence

Mtr

Beano and Mr Dabolina like this.