How much rent would you increase ?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by deezee, 4th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

Hi members,

My new tenant moved in on 1st Oct. They are requesting that I install another split system aircon in the third bedroom [currently, there are aircons in the lounge and two other bedrooms].

Installation cost is $2300. Property manager is suggesting a $5/week, but I am thinking of $10-$20/week increase.

What is considered reasonable increase in this case ? How much rent would you increase given this request ?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I hope my math is correct, but $2300 at 3% for a year is $69 interest.

It is a small cost but gives you three air-conditioned bedrooms. If they paid an extra $15 per week it is paid for in three years.

I would put it to them to raise the rent by $10 a week.

How much rent are you getting now? What area?

3. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

Rent is $400/week now at Ringwood.

4. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Is it necessary to have an split system in every bedroom? It is Victoria not Darwin.
    In addition to the install costs - have you factored in the additional appliance charge when completing the mandatory safety checks every two years?

deezee likes this.
  5. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

3rd bedroom is facing west so it gets hot in summer. New tenant has teenage kids who want aircon rooms.

6. wylie

We also added another split to a West facing third bedroom for tenants. We didn't increase rent because they are friends but when they left soon after, it meant we have two bedrooms and living areas with air-con. If tenants want the third bedroom air-conditioned, we would do that.

I believe having the bedrooms air-conditioned is getting us better rent. Brisbane gets hot.

7. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

As an option there are small portable evaporative coolers that cost around $250-$300 and cheap to run. If you don't want to install a split system and they don't want to pay an extra $10-15pw you should suggest this as an option for them to purchase and take with them when they leave.

8. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

Would fan installation help?

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It's literally been a few days :confused:
    Alarm bells toll very near by :rolleyes:
    It is as inspected, they want AC for a teenager........:oops:
    Then they can pay for it and make good the repairs when they take it with then at end of lease or leave it !
    Ok, so $15-20pw increase :p
    Goes to show just how little attention people pay to the details when they inspect a place o_O
    Or they would & should have negotiated this in prior to signing lease and moving in :mad:
    More fool them, ask what they propose, or go in hard and negotiate back, you hold tbe cards (lease) currently :D

Owlet, marty998 and momentum26 like this.
  10. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Can the rent be increased? Do the new rules allow for this increase? Or can you only increase the rent in 12mths time - ie once per year?

As a parent - if my teenager wanted aircon in their bedroom I know what I would be saying.

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Absolutely yes, it isn't a rental income increase, it's a renegotiation for additional services/amenities ;)

Open your door so the cool air from the other AC units can circulate??? :D
    Clean your room whilst there :p

craigc, wylie and Owlet like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I always consider market conditions before I decide to increase or decrease rent

13. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

Have you agreed to install a split system a/c? If so, why?

They rented the property as is... I would increase it $20-30/week. If they say push back, then no a/c, simple.

momentum26 likes this.
  14. momentum26

I agree with @pwnitat0r. Your PM should be competent enough to shut your tenant. This should not be a topic for discussion really in the first week of the tenancy if no expectation has been set before them signing the tenancy.

15. danz

danz Well-Known Member

they signed the lease knowing whats included and whats not. currently rental market in most places in Australia favour landlord, so I would be asking for a reasonable rent increase say $20/week.

momentum26 likes this.
  16. momentum26

Just also remember you cannot increase rent in first 6 months of the tenancy. May be differ installation until end of 6 or 12 months given that the tenants signed up for after knowing what is available in the property.

17. wylie

There's nothing wrong with signing a new lease with the new conditions.

When we are asked for this type of thing, we consider it from all angles. Will it help us keep this tenant? Will it help us get another tenant?

In our case, western facing bedroom was a problem. We came to a mutually agreeable solution without us feeling like we'd been bullied or walked over. Win/win.

Stoffo likes this.
  18. charlie01

charlie01 Well-Known Member

I am looking for such competent PM in Brisbane.

19. momentum26

Will PM you.

20. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

They moved in days ago and are already requesting something costing thousands, without proving they will be reasonable renters? I'm also surprised at $400pw in Ringwood for something with 3 bedrooms, but that's another story.

If you're keen to do it, then go ahead. I would do a minimum of $10pw and sign a new lease.

craigc, wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice