How much notice to give tennants.

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jenny__, 1st Sep, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jenny__

Jenny__ Well-Known Member

Hello

Our daughter and partner are moving to Brisbane. We have a unit that they would like to rent - my question is how much notice do we need to give tennants - the lease is up mid December. Current tennants have been there 3 years and have been excellent tennants so would like to give them every consideration.

So what is the requirement for notice??? and how much notice would you give considering the history??

Thoughts please.
    Jenny

2. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Given the fixed term lease expires in mid Dec, and the fact that you know now that you wish to occupy the apartment after the lease expiry, I would be giving the tenants at least 2 mths, out of courtesy, if not more. Though 14 days is all that's legally required, it may not be enough time for them to search extensively for another rental property.
    Perhaps a thankyou gift (small basket of goodies, movie vouchers etc) could accompany your notice along with a phonecall, to let them know that, if circumstances were different, you'd be keeping them on. Also offering to write them a glowing reference will enable the goodwill to continue to flow.

4. Jenny__

Jenny__ Well-Known Member

Yes, Jacque thanks, that was the strategy I had in mind as I appreciate the role of "good tennants" these two young women have played. :) So I definitely plan to show my appreciation in a tangible way.

Jenny