How much is an hour of your time worth in $?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Owlet, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

LOL! Says the man without one! Well....almost!

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

My day job would be approx $50 an hour gross. I work all my weekends to get those higher rates though.

What I earn in my spare time doing DIY renos when considering the extra equity earned, that's more like $300 an hour.

It's funny though, earning that much I still don't have much money because every cent goes back into property and reno's etc... and becomes equity which I can't touch. So day to day it's like I'm no better off.

Hmmm probably shouldn't think about it too hard.

Hanison likes this.
  3. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Salaried job is $55/hr and flute teaching is $50/hr (both before tax). No overtime available in my salaried job - if I do happen to work up additional hours, I take it off as flexi time.

4. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

This is an important point.

I think determining a baseline of how much your time is worth per hour is critical so you can make informed choices about how you use your time, but it doesn't mean you should automatically outsource everything that will cost less per hour for someone else to do.

5. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I'm on a salary so there isn't an opportunity to increase my income. I earn $43 hr based on the number of hours I work each week. I've never calculated my hourly rate before so this has been an interesting exercise..thought it would have been more :rolleyes:.

6. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

$140,- per hour before tax. My overall salary was higher in my previous job, but effective hourly rate same. I much prefer having more hours in my life for other than work related activities.

Also started to feel really 'poor' when reading everyone else's massive hourly rates... and based on this thread I would say that there are huge portion of the people in this forum, whose incomes belong to the top 10% of incomes in Australia.

By the way my hourly rate does not stop me from cleaning, renovating, gardening activities, because I can not earn any more from my day job, so I feel if I do all these other jobs I save money and effectively increase my income by saving money. Maybe not $140,- per hour but I am happy if I save/ earn $30,- per hour on the top of my day job.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2015
  7. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

My salary is ok . But my hourly rate stinks

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My salary and my hourly rate are zilch. Actually negative.

9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

My brother in law worked in a fruit and vegetable store when he was younger. He negotiated a celary package, which he could take home every few days.

EN710 likes this.
  10. geoffw

I know that store. It was the melon cauli store.

EN710 and wombat777 like this.
  11. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I used to work as a party entertainer dressed up as a monkey. I was paid peanuts.

12. geoffw

Hm. There's always a clown.

13. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

I've always disagreed with this arguement with friends when its come up. Say it's sunday arvo i have a bit of time up my sleeve so I go out into the garage and spend a few hours servicing mine and the misses car. Have friends say "why even bother just spend an extra hour at work then pay someone to do it for you." but it's sunday arvo works closed so should i just go sit on the couch now when i have nothing better to do then spend an extra hour at work during the week when all i want to do is go home and sit on the couch?

14. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

You make fair points.

If you just have a day job (not a business), and no capacity to earn more by increasing your skills etc, and don't want to free up time to spend with family/friends etc, spending money to save time may not make sense at all.

And I think as humans we need to be accomplishing things so it's good to retain some rituals and do enough for ourselves to feel worthwhile.

Bill Gates still washes his dishes by hand.

15. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Can't understand wy the Dad is portrayed as getting angry all the time in this story, but anyway...makes a good point.

While I was reading it, it got me thinking about what kids value from their parents.

Here's an eg; my 3 year old daughter got given a set of "Snap" cards for her birthday by the in-laws; a "PlaySchool" deck.

I sort of dismissed the cards as the normal tight-arse present they usually buy, but my daughter seemed to be getting some value out of looking at the pictures of Jemima, Big and Little Ted, etc

But anyway; last weekend in Melb was horrendous weather, and on Sunday morning I bought out these cards and showed my daughter and 5 year old boy how to play "Snap".

It took her a while to get it, and I always make sure she wins the game (and him too). I win the odd "snap", but let them win the most. ;)

We had a ball; played for a good couple of hours; lots of laughs and excitement when they win a "Snap".

Since then, I have been bombarded by both to play "Snap" every night after work (and don't mind it a bit), and I even played it this morning before work while trying to eat weetbix one-handed, and spoon feed the 3 year old every second spoonful as she "seagulled" my bowlful..:confused:

So, a $2 deck of "snap" cards is worth a fortune to kids in the context of time spent with their parents.

it doesn't need to be a high-tech/high cost activity for them to love it...it just has to be with YOU.

16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I hope he was enjoying the fruits of his labour?

wombat777 and tess_ like this.
  17. tess_

tess_ Well-Known Member

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wrote it off early but kept reading. The last line unexpectedly choked me up as it hit home. But the Dad could have been any of the things I am frequently guilty of - tired, short-tempered, distracted...

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

$0....I endeavour to be a bum!

20. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hubby has two work days until he is.:D

BUT that doesn't mean his time is worth $0.

geoffw likes this.