How much income do you need to live the dream?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by sash, 20th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Who NET income do you need to live the dream?

1. Less than $35k

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  2. 35k to 60k

15 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. 60k to 80k

18 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. 80k to 100k

18 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. 100k to 120k

35 vote(s)
    23.0%
  6. 120k to 150k

14 vote(s)
    9.2%
  7. 150k to 180k

10 vote(s)
    6.6%
  8. 180k to 200k

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. 200k plus..

35 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We'll be doing that in September when hubby retires. We've sold down a few properties, but kept a heap of them. With a paid off PPOR and no non-deductable debt, we really don't need that much. Also, as the income is split, the income tax liability won't be as high as just having Hubby on Salary. If we find that the income side of things is too lean, well, we'll sell some more. Actually thinking about letting go another one in Campbelltown too, so we'll see what the market is doing come spring.

Chilliblue and WattleIdo like this.
  2. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

Good point OC. That's what I was getting at with what does "the dream" mean. My number for financial independence and what I'll need will be very different to the number for me to live like vinny chase.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. I'd rather get Hubby off the work treadmill and go live life, than keep him there, slogging away indefinitely for a better payday at the end. I can see clearly if he were to hang on for another 5 years, that we'd be in a much, much better place, and I am soooo jealous of all the people buying up big in QLD, because I'm not, but it would just be greed driving me if I insisted on him working another 5 years. It's time to say 'enough', and sometimes that can be hard to do.

Wukong, DanW, Tim86 and 6 others like this.
  4. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Barcelona, desde hace 2 años.

5. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

My calculation was simply earnings now minus what I pay on mortgaged, we live fairly comfortably and I don't really need any more :).

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  6. Bryan Loughnan

Bryan Loughnan Well-Known Member

Don't forget CPI increases - ie someone who is 'comfortable' on $100k today - will need $135k in 10 years time, based on simple 3% growth year on year.

Furthermore, keep in mind that before you exit the workforce - there are generally 40-60 hours a week when you are 'at work' and more often than not spending less money than you might be once you retire.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  7. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

Good on you skater, sometimes greed could derail the initial goal and lose the meaning of investing.

8. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

So what's a typical day of living The Dream look like to you guys?

9. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Good point, I was looking at it on today's money. Does rental return rise in line with CPI?

I would like to caravan round AU when I retire, I don't think expenses will go up as we will mostly be chilling out somewhere nice but once the travel is over our home based costs may rise.

Bryan Loughnan likes this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

A mil wow!

I will be up to around 420k pa plus after all my builds and properties are rented later this year....and this is not net just gross. Lucky to have 30% net after all expenses.

For a million net you will need about $25m net in quality assets.....I can;t say I will be inclined to get to that point. But hey if you can get there why not...it is hard work though....

11. Bryan Loughnan

Bryan Loughnan Well-Known Member

Rental returns won't ALWAYS increase - there will be certain markets in which rental returns reduce - over supply, less demand etc.

Either way, you aren't buying a tenant and you aren't buying a rent roll. You are ultimately buying an asset, first and foremost you need to be selecting a location which has all of the right drivers for capital growth. It is then about selecting the right asset type for the local demographic and a specific property that will be readily tenant-able (your end income stream).

Rental income today won't help you retire in 10 or 15 years time. Good capital growth over that time will provide the net asset position you require to exit the work force and not be reliant on the government funded pension.

With increased capital growth (where all things are equal) you will see an increase in rental returns as well which will assist with the retirement funding. A property which is neutrally geared or even slightly negatively geared today - with growth overtime - will become positively geared and assist in that dream of one day driving the caravan around Australia!

12. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

With no debt, we could easily live off $100k per year.

But let's call it $200k. ;)

13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

One more thing to keep in mind.

If you are retiring with a largish portfolio, your income will keep on rising. For example, if you have one property with rental increases of, say, $5pw pa, you only get an increase of $260 per year. Hardly anything to write home about........BUT if you have 10 properties churning out increases of $5pw, pa each, that increase rises to $2600.

Of course, that's simplistic, as expenses rise as well, but lets just be really conservative here, - just like my $5 example, as many would rise more than that - and say that the expenses have just taken half of your annual increase. You've still got $1300 extra, each year!

I have many in my portfolio that I have had for more than 10 years, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that each and every one of them has had their rent rise well over $50 during that time. In face most of them would be well over double that amount, some triple, and these are mainly in lower socio areas.

Last edited: 21st Jul, 2015
    DanW, WattleIdo and EN710 like this.
  14. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

Great point @skater, not to mention the equity in the properties increasing as well!

15. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Wait, you increase it by $5 p/week and they give you $2600 a year?

THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN MISSING ALL THESE YEARS!!!!!!

;)

WattleIdo and Bryan Loughnan like this.
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Voted $60k - $80k per year.
    Would be more than enough for a couple living debt free.
    No shame in aiming higher though ;)

17. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Is you have to be good at maths.

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Oops:oops: Having a blonde morning here. :D

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

LOL! I normally am.....but obviously not today.:oops:

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

There's been a bit of that around here lately, what's an extra 0 here and there ;)