How much have you spent on your IP renos?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Otie, 7th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

@Brendon
    I agree
    I think it is really only worth about 360 in it's current state but so far every auction I have been to people get carried away, however having said that I haven't been to one in this suburb yet, and based on previous sales of similar, the going price seems to be around the 370-380k mark
    Hopefully I'm the only bidder lol.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have a listen to a recent property couch podcast. A auctioneer have some good tips on how to bid etc

3. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will:)

4. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I spent 4k and my property revalued 23% higher

You gotta squeeze every penny

Otie likes this.
  5. sleekgeek

sleekgeek Active Member

Hi Joel what was the break down?

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

We are half way through the Reno and if we stay on track we will have spent 9k
    That's including converting a bungalow into a bedroom and study and making it look part of the house by plastering over the old ugly sheeting, plastering the internal walls where the bungalow was joined to the house that had weatherboard and brick from when it was once the outside of the house, knocking out 2 walls to open up the kitchen/dining/lounge, new (second hand but new looking) kitchen and appliances, brand new bathroom, new toilet, new skirting,architraves, doors, handles, hinges and cornices, new laundry cabinet and moved a bathroom wall to make the bathroom 1700x3000 instead of 1700x2000. And floor polishing and sanding. And new paint throughout. I think that's it! Plumber has completed rough in, and we are hoping to have the bathroom complete by next week then it's arcs, skirting and painting. I'm most nervous about painting than anything else so far.

Perthguy and Brendon like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have. Brick veneer 3x1. This involved completely removing wall paper, carpet, kitchen, laundry and bathroom vanity. I think we spent about $12k all up by doing almost all the work ourselves.

Carpet, kitchen, laundry cabinets, sink, rangehood, bathroom vanity, tiles and pavers were all second-hand or new from gumtree and demolition yards. Kitchen tiles were from a tile warehouse and were factory seconds. The only things we bought retail were cheap lights, taps, bathroom and laundry sink from masters.

This was a low end rental though, so you would have to pick your materials for your market.

8. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

So far Gumtree has been my main go to. Only thing I have paid full price for so far has been timber/screws etc from Bunnings, and cornices.
    Picked up pretty much everything else from Ebay and Gumtree.
    I will provide a full breakdown and before and afters when we are finished.

Brendon and Perthguy like this.
  9. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Check out my Cheapie Reno Smithfield thread, I think exterior paint was the biggest value add

sleekgeek and Otie like this.
  10. Perthguy

Gumtree for the win! I was surprised at the number of items that I bought new on gumtree.

11. bob shovel

It is very handy and environmentally friendly that all the stuff that falls off trucks can be found a new home so quickly :D

12. Perthguy

Cynic. :)

There is legit new stuff on gumtree too. I picked up a new stove from a builder because it had a scratch and it was replaced under warranty. I picked it up at the builder's office, not from his boot at the local shopping centre ;)

I did wonder about some bricks though... :p

13. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Lol my husband keeps saying "half the shi* has got to be stolen!"
    lol everytime I find stuff my hubby a like "I swear half the **** on that site is stolen".
    Lots of good stuff but lots of junk too! Surprisingly people have been interested in my junk too- saved a heap on tip fees- gummys took the old timber 1975 green kitchen, smashed to pieces and in a million pieces but still tied onto their Honda CRV! Others took worn out carpet, all the old skirtings, the hideous 70s green curtains and so much more! It's amazing how my absolute trash is someone's treasure!

bob shovel and Perthguy like this.
  14. Perthguy

Haha! It's funny because it's true. I think it's a philosophy and it's not just about the money. I am fundamentally opposed to waste and will sell anything I can on gumtree. If I can't sell it, I give it away just to stop it going to landfill. At my last reno, I put a heap of stuff out the front with a big sign, free, you remove. Everything went except an old 44 gallon drum. I also donated stuff to the local salvage yard.

For this reno, I sold a pile of 1960's breeze blocks. For $50, it wasn't really worth the time to list them, take the calls and help the buyer load them into his ute. But I can't stand the thought of sending something to landfill that someone could use. But yes, it saves on tip fees too. :)

It's the same when I need something for the reno. My first port of call is gumtree. It just seems less wasteful to me. Reduce, reuse, recycle means a lot to me.

15. bob shovel

Haha true! :) good importers buying in bulk so everyone wins

Builders can still be suspect. Does anyone pay for bricks in WA or is there a gov allowance per year that you're given? This state loves their bricks, it's quite unhealthy

I was on a job and they ordered the bricks for a house 3 times! Kept getting the order wrongo_O. We had to get rid of them so everyone in town was getting them, we weren't smart enough to put them on gumtree :oops:

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Crikey. Was this something dodgy or just by accident?
    Hope they went to some use.