How much for curtains for a development?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by wylie, 5th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm confused about how much to spend on curtains for townhouses we will be holding for rental. I can choose off the shelf curtains, but our taller than average windows limit our choices. Initial ballpark quote is going to be about $8k per townhouse (12 large curtained areas), fully installed, or I can spend about $4k at Spotlight (including rods) and pay for the rods to be installed and then iron and hang 48 curtains myself. We might lose two weeks of rent doing that.

I'm guessing say $500 for the installation of the rods for 48 curtains. Then I iron and hang them all, and if I measure wrongly, I get to fix it.

So, I'm coming around to having to spend more than I'd like to in order to get a high end look.

I'll trim down where I can, choose a cheaper fabric where I can get away with it (secondary bedrooms) and may look at blinds in secondary bedrooms, depending on pricing.

Another option is blinds online but there really isn't much of a saving when I compare like for like in size and quality, and I still take on the risk (and installation) myself. The bigger saving is with Spotlight, but I have to choose pinch pleat or eyelet, and don't think these are the right feel we are after. We also have a few tricky stack back issues that a bendable, bespoke track will solve, but not a rod.

I'm trying not to fall into the trap of installing curtains that I like, but I also don't want to put in eyelet curtains on rods, when I can have curtains made and installed on tracks that almost disappear. We would end up with a high end look, but of course, at double the price if I go with Spotlight. (I think I'm hoping someone to say "yes, get them made, they will look better".) :D

Thought these will be rented for years, I don't want to go "off the shelf" because it is cheap now, only to feel we need to replace them with more sleek curtaining when it comes time to sell, with all the patching and fixing that would mean. That's false economy.

Am I crazy to spend more for the bespoke curtains?

We've gone with higher quality timber floors to enable re-finishing if necessary, and we've doubled our budget on decorative laser cut privacy screens that are visible from everywhere rather than look into the back of horizontal slat privacy screens. All this helps make these a bit less "average" and hopefully bring in more rent (or allow for point of difference) when compared to average townhouses in the area.

To me these photos are chalk and cheese. Would love to hear other opinions.

Image 5-7-20 at 2.19 pm.jpg Image 5-7-20 at 2.20 pm.jpg

2. Deakin5

Deakin5 Active Member

Lots of questions in there!

One thing you may not have thought about is cleaning the curtains, we lived in a city outside Australia that had high pollution. We had to wash the curtains every 6 months to keep them at an acceptable level. Obviously in Australia with tennants this may not be so easy.

It's something to think about, buy some curtains that can be taken off easily and washed, you will notice a big difference each time you wash them.

wylie likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would not go curtains at all, especially if renting.

there are options which look great, cheaper and far more practical ie blinds roll down, timber, skinny White venetian blinds, or lots of cool colours.

I personally love shutters but too expensive for a rental

R R, craigc, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

In all my developments I put roller blinds. I find them economical and effective by themselves if you put the block out ones in bedrooms.

Sheers are nice but they will also need a roller blind so the costs will increase.

If you want some wow then go roller blinds everywhere but in the master and living areas maybe go with some sheers as well.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, blinds are so much better visually than what they were years ago. Suppliers got their act together

wylie likes this.
  6. wylie

Hmmmm... some food for thought. Windows are 4.3m wide in the living room so I'm not sure blinds would work.

Main bedroom window is 4m wide, and the Juliette is 1.8m wide. Honestly, I think blinds might be almost as costly as sheers for such large openings.

I've pondered leaving off sheers to the al fresco, and that might be what I do, and add them for sale down the track, but even in Brisbane, plain glass at night feels cold.

We have a meeting on site this week with the designer, builder and project manager. The look I want definitely is sheers, and whilst the large living area windows (and main bedroom) are north/north west, and cop afternoon sun, there are huge trees that will block some of that (not in our yard), plus the privacy screening means sheers might work without blinds due to not having the whole expanse of the windows being hit by the sun. We can add blinds if we need to later behind the sheers.

I'd like to save some money. But not at the expense of losing the classic feel we would get with S track sheers. So confusing.

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2020
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Generally for large expanses they do multiple blinds but it does depend on the room and how the windows are used etc.

I think the house that I did plantation shutters in was cheaper than your sheers quote. Maybe get some more quotes?

Or just go for the big ticket areas like the living areas.

wylie likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd agree that blinds are the go, multiple blinds on the larger windows with the breaks matching the mullions.

In the bedrooms & street facing areas, double roller blinds (block out and sheer). For complete block out, just specify an additional aluminium angle to the sides of the opening to minimise light penetration.

wylie likes this.
  9. wylie

Thanks all. I'll get quotes on blinds as well and see how I go. And I may leave off the alfresco and add that later if I need to.

10. wylie

Checked Blinds Online and I could do two of these on the main bedroom window for under $500.

Add a full height 2400 for the Juliette at $234 and for a total of $734 (plus fitting - not much more) compared to $1,614 for blockout curtains.

I may do "wow" curtains in the living room and alfresco (only three openings) and the rest could be blinds.

I'll look at the whole job and see what I'd save. This could work.

Still not what I'd really like, but I'm not living there, and I could always add luxurious curtains to each individual townhouse as and when we sell if we think that will bring a better sale price.

Thanks for the different ideas people.
    Image 5-7-20 at 7.59 pm.jpg

11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I feel like I go through this dilemma constantly!

I agree that using roller blinds for a rental is so much more practical, the look is not as soft and textured but they last a long time and are pretty cost effective. Try No Bull Blinds, you can get quotes off the website but they'll do all the installing for you (and they'll give you a volume discount). Larger windows are split into two.

I also love s-wave curtains mounted to a ceiling track (your first pic) and I use it for all the properties that I sell. Freedom have a good range (and the length!). I last got 23 of these installed and paid a handyman for the day, and an assistant to iron them to length and it was relatively low stress.

wylie and MTR like this.
  12. wylie

Thanks Mel. I'll take a look. :)

13. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Many people sell new curtains on Facebook marketplace that they mismeasured. Worth a look for the bedrooms. I love pinch pleat

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I really like curtains, but if you're going to go sheer- you need double row with blockout on the second row, which obviously increases the cost.

My go to rule these days is roller blinds on the windows and curtains on the doors. Roller blinds suck on doorways, they get wrecked because people don't want to roll them up and down every time they go through the door. Curtains can be brushed out of the way, or left mostly shut.

craigc, Mel Morgan and balwoges like this.
  15. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

^this, its what I have ...

16. wylie

I called No Bull Blinds (thanks @Mel Morgan) and they will come and quote once we are advanced enough to do so. They also said they can install, so I'm thinking I'll do blinds and add curtains if and when we sell the first of these (at least five years away).

I'd like the polished look, but realise we don't need to spend that sort of money at this stage.

Westminster likes this.
  17. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I have used No Bull maybe a dozen times - work off the pricing on their website as a starting point and it should give you a good idea and the installation is free. If there's a price difference its usually because the website quotes plastic cords while for some reason their measuring guy defaults to metal cord.

wylie likes this.