Food & Dining How much do you spend on food per week?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by miximitosis, 13th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How much do you spend on food per week?

1. <$100 per person

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Between $100-$150 per person

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Between $150-$200 per person

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. >$200 per person.

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

How much do you spend on food per person in your household?

Eg. Couple that spends $400/week = $200 per person
    Family of four that spends $700/week = $175 per person

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Last financial year we spent just under $17,400 on food and groceries (including toiletries and other household items we'd buy from the supermarket, and also including lunches, dining out, takeaway).

That works out to be about $334 per week for a family of 4, or $84 per person per week.

I should qualify this for comparison purposes by explaining that we don't buy coffee or alcohol and we have young kids who don't eat terribly much and we don't tend to dine out much either. I should also note that we don't have any babies in the house any more, so our grocery bill is actually less than it was for a while with nappies, formula, etc adding a lot to our costs.

(PS. I changed the poll settings so that votes aren't displayed publicly - there's almost never a valid reason to use that setting).

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2017
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It depends on how many times we eat out in any given week. Twice a week adds about $30/head to our costs. My caffeine habit [​IMG] is another $30/week.

MTR likes this.
  4. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

@Simon Hampel , your figure makes me think we have been eating too much, :(:eek:

miximitosis likes this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Not counting eating out, we spend around $282/wk on average over the last 12 months. This is for 2 adults, 3 kids aged 9-13. We do eat out though, probably once a fortnight which adds to the expense.

moridog and Eric Wu like this.
  6. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

There should be an option of less than $20/week for KathrynD :)

See Change likes this.
  7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Do you dine out much? Alcohol? Coffee? Have babies in the house? Teenagers? These are all expensive things!

I think right now our food/grocery expenses are probably the lowest they are going to be until our kids leave home - babies are really expensive (especially if you have to use formula as well), as are teenagers who never seem to stop eating.

Also, with me starting a new business so not a lot of income coming in and wife working only part time with young kids in the house - we've had to be pretty frugal in a lot of areas, so we probably spend less than we'd normally expect to.

8. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I would average $80 ish a week for an adult and teen. I'm pretty careful though and we would have fast food maybe 3-4 times a year? Fruit bill is a quarter of that so always buy seasonal and not exceed $4 a kilo unless it is grapes or something local and irrestible. Never pay for some fruits as I know where every fruiting tree on public land is in my suburb. :)

Joynz and Jess Peletier like this.
  9. Eric Wu

we don't dine out much, no alcohol or coffee. my girl is at yr 3, boy is 1.5yo, no formula. but still feel money is leaving the house too fast. kids are expensive ( classes, ect...)

10. Eric Wu

@Jess Peletier , can you pls offer some help with budgeting? ;)

11. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I spend $100, this is the first year I have had to survive on non property investments only, so downloaded an app and am tracking all expenses for next 12 months to see if my budgeting is OK. Its been a little scary going from regular rental income to dividends etc. :eek:

Last edited: 14th Feb, 2017
  12. Jess Peletier

One word - Spudshed. We eat heaps for fruit and veggies and it's literally half the price of Coles or Woolies.

Eric Wu likes this.
  13. Eric Wu

Seems they only service WA.

14. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

For those that are averaging less than $100 p/p, what meals are you guys having for lunches and dinners??

15. Jess Peletier

Kids and hubby have sandwiches, I have a salad usually or leftovers. Dinner is anything - curries, roast, pasta, fish and salad - there's not much we don't have due to cost.

One thing we don't spend much on is packaged snacks, mainly because I think the majority of them don't qualify as actual food. Kids either bake from scratch or eat fruit.

Angel likes this.
  16. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Interesting question..... probably about $200 /wk for 3 adults but we eat out quite a bit more than most here it seems. (does not include dine out & takeaway meals)

Dine out about twice a week & take out about 4 times a week. So on average about 6 meals from 21 /wk are not at/from home. Lifestyle differences sway eating habits dramatically.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Pheasant, caviar, escargot, venison, goose, wagyu beef - all the usual flavours that you'd find in 'Dine' or other premium cat food. Whack it through the food processor and call it chef's surprise.

18. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

and it's lucky that they do.. otherwise, WA is paying about 25-30% more than the east coast for groceries.. I thought it would get better after the mining boom here ended... it hasn't.

In fact I've noticed cafe's/takeaway joints in the CBD are actually hiking prices!!!!???? :confused:

19. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Probably about $350 a week for 2 adults and 2 kids. Eat out about 5 times a week. I thought moving to Indonesia would be much cheaper for food but not the case.

20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And there's your daughter's birth control taken care of to boot.