How much do you save?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Jingo, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

Last couple of financial year we didn't save a thing. Any money earned was used to fund my business start up. On track to turn a decent profit this year, however that storm in April has made things a bit difficult. Still haven't recovered properly.

2. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Zero. Spend 100% on living and supporting negative geared assets. Working on rezoning that will making them positive geared in the near future but until then we just tick along spending what we earn.

3. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed reading the varied replies to this thread. Leo, I suspect many investors with sizeable portfolios think this way. Let the investments do the heavy lifting, and savings from salary become inmaterial.

To expand a little further on my own situation, my wife and I are investing our savings from our earnings into shares and etf's. However, the reality is that the portfolio is increasing in value on an annual basis by a far greater sum than our savings ever could. We also top up our Super through salary sacrifice. (I didn't include this in the savings % in my original post) and we have 1 child.

DareDevil, Sackie and MTR like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No kids, saving about 100% of our worked income.

The Y-man

Jingo likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks, spot on.

Someone asked this question some time ago, I really had no clue how to answer thiis because it's been so many years now where this does not apply.

I am sure Jason you are there too:)

MTR

Jingo likes this.
  6. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Atm doing reno so saving nothing at all. Expecting a good tax return back so is that savings?

7. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Haven't saved any money for long time.

We just keep re investing $$$$$, we bring home in to growing assets. Also, invested money in to upgrading our skill sets.

We keep x amount of $ for rainy days, rest invested in different asset class.

Esh likes this.
  8. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Currently have 5k month 'expense' that is payments to managed funds. This is our monthly automatic forced savings. Anything extra goes into Share and ETF top ups. I do though have the spectre of inner west childcare costs approaching

9. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Can we make it 'how much do you spend'? haha.

I haven't saved a cent in the last 6 months, every penny has gone into the renovation.

pianissimo and MJS1034 like this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I would have thought savings and investing, asset accumulation, etc, would be classified the same thing.
    i.e. anything not spent on personal living costs and interest on any other debt, whether PPOR or IP's.

Generally, you still have to save before investing, even if it's only 1 week or 1 month.

Frazz likes this.
  11. 380

380 Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, whats current holding and how is it performing for you!

12. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I'm with ya.

The year I tracked my spending (pie chat earlier), my saving component ended (14.8%) up going towards further investment the following year.

Combined (then) savings + investment for the year was 71.2%.

13. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Zero, unless you count accumulating offsets and paying down non-deductible debt. Being in debt negates saving. That money is always working, if only to reduce my negative.

adam duckworth likes this.
  14. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats cool. We have Forager Australia and International, Magellan Global and Infrastructure and a Perpetual Wealthfund with Geared, Long Short, Platinum Asia, Lazard Infrastructure and Vanguard Fixed Interest.

I track it all using sharesight.com.au. So 1 year performance to yesterday was 11.78%. Not amazing but very comfortable with that as that includes the recent global share weakness i.e china, Greece, Apple drop etc.

Best performer was Magellan Global at 19.52%. Worst has been Vanguard Fixed INterest at -0.5%.

380 likes this.
  15. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

About 62.5% savings rate (2x after-tax salaries) which is used for either paying down PPOR debt, funding negative cashflow properties or purchasing shares/ETFs.

16. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

You do need to create cash flow I borrow instead of save to do that. I spend my money before it comes in often just before the end of the financial year, via an LOC on Equity.

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Jingo Sounds good mate. Your doing what a lot of us are doing with property, your doing with shares. There actually is a share trading guru among us here (at least 1 I know of) who is freakin amazing at it! I'm guessing your more Buy and hold though. Do you leverage with margin loans at all?

Kremitz and Sannie like this.
  18. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Currently somewhere between 80% and 90% as I am now working full time (+overtime) and I do not pay rent!

19. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Around 50% when I'm working. Will be DINK with GF moving in soon so just have to make her save like I do...:eek:

legallyblonde likes this.
  20. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Including extra super contributions we save about 60% of our total income.