Entertainment & Music How much do you read?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Steven Ryan, 9th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

I read a book a..

1. Day

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Week

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Fortnight

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Month

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. Quarter

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  6. Year

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  7. Decade

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Books schmooks!

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

I go through about five books a week. I love reading and I've been an avid reader all my life - I remember reading Anne of Green Gables when I was seven and just absolutely loving it.

I mostly read during the daily commute, but I also have to read every night when I get into bed - it's the perfect way to relax enough to drift off.

I have an extensive library of 'real' books but I must admit to also loving my Kindle - I have around fifteen hundred different books on it, and love the fact that I'm carrying a whole library with me.

My reading range is pretty extensive - love classic and modern classic novels, also a wide range of non-fiction, and political commentary.

2. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

i'm a voracious reader...however, very little of it is in the print form nowadays. I think it's been over a year since I last read a hard copy book.

3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I used to devour a book every night or two, but life has since gotten in the way the last decade.

Fiction wise - It took me about 3 years to get through Colleen McCullough's roman series, and 2 years to finish to end of book 4 of Game of Thrones.

Currently, investment/self help wise - nada.

4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I probably read a book a fortnight ... combination of fiction and non-fiction ... it's my downtime brain unwind and sometimes I just need some light reading.

5. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I want to read but...
    I have no problems with reading a forum or blog or news site. However, I fall sleep as soon as I open a book or kindle. I'm sot sure if it is because I'm sleep deprived or lack of interest in the topic.

6. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Cheers!

I haven't been much of reader most of my life until about 18 months ago.

Last year I read about 8 books, this year I'm up to 5.

I now have a fair trip to work three days a week and want add some audio books..........it will sure beat the fake laughing on the breakfast radio shows ;)

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I normally get through approx 1 book per week, but have been known to do one in a day...just a finished reading the latest Nelson Demille...."The Quest".

8. Ichigo

Ichigo Well-Known Member

1 per month lately...mostly investment/finance related books to increase my financial literacy :)
    Currently reading 'The richest man in Babylon'

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've been a much more avid reader in the past, but for me as well, life gets in the way.

I have a big library of books on paper, so much so that there's two walls with floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with books. There's not a lot of room for more.

So my wife is much happier now that I have a kindle. I enjoy it- especially the backlit one that I can read without a light, so that I disturb her a lot less.

I subscribe to the kindle book of the day. There's two different books every day at much reduced prices. I can choose to buy a book if I want, which is usually one or two books a week, often at 99c each. I usually will only buy books with very good reviews- I love that I can read reviews before buying, unlike the books I used to buy on spec years ago. I've read some not great books, but most are at least interesting. I've read a lot that o would not previously have looked at, and expanded my range.

10. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

I tend to read non fiction books in parallel... switching between them. So maybe 6 a year but each one can take many months or even over a year.

11. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I love reading and am fortunate that I can finish the general novel in a 3 hour sitting. Like @geoffw also have walls of books to go back to re read and use electronic devices when out and about. Just finding the time lately is hard.

12. KMD

KMD Well-Known Member

When I was married I read one book a week on the train (1 hour return trip). When I got divorced I found I couldn't read at all and this lasted for over 5 years. It's only in the last 18 months that I have actually gone back to reading. I love books by Jeffrey Archer, John Grisham and for some easy reading James Patterson.

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Am trying to get through a pile of academic journal articles (like about 500) for my PhD studies.........

The Y-man

14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What topic Y-man?

15. The Y-man

International Business - Specifically Sustainability impact of Japanese MNC expansion into SEA

The Y-man

16. Terry_w

Very interesting!

17. The Y-man

It is - until you have to actually have to start researching it!! :p

The Y-man

18. Terry_w

Yes, hard work. Can you read Japanese?

19. The Y-man

Can speak, but can only read the very basics - which is a pain - most of the papers have been published in Japanese, with very few English language pubs. Conversely, not a bad thing as it leave a very large gap in knowledge at least in the non-domestic field.

The Y-man

20. Terry_w

The academic literature in Japanese in any topic is vast. There are so many academic journals out there that it is amazing. Most of it has no comparison in English. If you can source online papers you could easily cut and paste works and add furigana to make reading much easier.

The Y-man likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.