How much $$$ do you keep as an 'emergency buffer'?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by KayTea, 17th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

LOC is generally higher interest, that's mu issue with LOCs!

2. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Love this topic!!!
    Since we have paid our home off we have built quiet a CASH buffer.

We have saved around 140K... in cash but we will be investing the 40K shortly.

KayTea likes this.
  3. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

Oh gosh why not take a Round the World trip? There's only so much you can do when you're younger.

4. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

We are definitely well under the average of posters here in terms of our "buffer" - realistically we have very little at the moment. We made a choice to use our cash/share holdings in our last investment and are still rebuilding - and very slowly.

It's definitely a risk, but a calculated one. We probably have another 3 years or so before we start to feel comfortable again in terms of our buffer.

KayTea and Bran like this.
  5. lisawithane

lisawithane Well-Known Member

I'm comfortable with having 6mths salary saved in an offset account against PPOR in case anything happens to my job. That way I can live and cover any unexpected property costs whilst I search for a new job.

6. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

It all depends on the risk you want to take at any point in time, and what opportunities are available.

At my lowest point a few years ago I've had probably had less than 6 months' cash for interest/repayments, and this doesn't include living expenses. So if I lost my job and my places went vacant, I'd have only a few months to sort it out. At my highest cash cycle in time - which is probably now - there's probably enough for 10 years interest and repayment, assuming places were vacant.

Not too sure about the point of lazy money. If you don't invest your cash in the long-term, it'll probably depreciate in value. But not having cash when it counts means you can't act quickly if the right opportunities come up.

7. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

There is not really a one size fits all as many factors should be considered.

Job/Industry is however is the biggest. If you do not work in a specialized field or there are alternatives to your work then you should be confident of finding a job quickly. I for example work in IT and have a preferred role but if I were to lose it I could quite easily take say a level 2 helpdesk position. Sure it would be a significant pay cut but it would ride out any storm.
    Someone with a more specialized skill set however may take much longer to find work and hence require a bigger buffer.

8. Bitsmisin

Bitsmisin Member

Have about 100k in high interest savings account under non working wife's name as ppor is practically paid off. I think its better than an IP offset account with reduced interest payments.

9. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Thanks, @hobo - you're making me feel like I'm not the only overly-exposed person out there. Some people on this thread have got huge amounts of money put aside (from where I stand) - I can't imagine saving that much (my income just doesn't allow the ability to put that much aside).

I put a bit more aside each week, but the idea of having a year's worth of payments just 'sitting there' is a very foreign thing my brain to be able to process.