Food & Dining How much do you drink?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 23rd Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How much do you drink per week on average?

1. 40+

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. 20-30

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. 10-20

7 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. 5-10

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. 1-5

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  6. 0

24 vote(s)
    39.3%
  7. 30-40

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

1 standard drink (for simplicity) is
    1 shot of spirits
    1 small beer (1 pint is 2)
    1 small glass of wine (1 normal glass is 1.5)

lets be honest !!

I ve had a lot of friends from overseas in the past two weeks and ive counted 40 std drinks per week,

this coming from a person who drink 1 drink per week on average, and its making me feel horrible, given that im a personal trainer

how do some people drink 40 per week every week!

Truly Exotic likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I was at the high end of the spectrum. It was causing me problems, especially in my marriage. Five years ago, I gave up, and haven't had any since.

I was afraid at the time that I'd have trouble sleeping without alcohol. That was rarely a problem after giving up.

I really like that there are no bits of my life of which I have just hazy memories. I am fully aware of myself at all times, not losing bits where I wasn't completely in control.

wategos and Joynz like this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I vary. Had little to drink in 2 weeks now (1 drink last sat night), and half a glass of wine on tuesday which I didnt finish. Other times I can polish off a bottle of nice scotch in a week. Depends on my mood adn what I have going on.

Trying to cut right back and give my liver a holiday :)

Greyghost likes this.
  4. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

I have completely cut out drinking from my life. Not that I ever drank a lot but I would drink on nights out on most weekends.

I haven't had a drop since May 2015. My focus and energy have never felt so good :)

5. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I have a couple at Christmas and maybe a bottle of wine over the rest of the year (it usually goes off in the fridge before I drink it). DH drinks less than me. Occasional glass if out for dinner as well.

I would say that my mum is an alcoholic (binge drinker) and her grandfather was an alcoholic so it's in the family but I've never seen the attraction. No one in my generation or the next seems to have a problem in my family as well...

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm taking up drinking this week :confused:

I need some practice.

datto likes this.
  7. geoffw

Scotch No Mates?

lixas4, Biz, Iamnumber5 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Zero. I quit all alcohol this year to prove a point. I am thinking that I might not start drinking again. I don't particularly miss drinking.

Simon Hampel and Sackie like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not this week, wine & beer as I'm skiing.

10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

11 years alcohol free today!
    Screenshot_20170923-121622.png

pinkboy

11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I don't have 'average' weeks.

I'm generally at either end of the scale.
    Some weeks I will drink 2l of beer a night (4x 500ml bottles). A big night I will double this. So 40+ std drinks.
    Then I'll go for a period of basically not drinking (maybe a couple of beers one night a week).

I don't really drink wine or spirits. Just beer.

I always feel better when I'm not drinking, yet, I do enjoy a beer.

Interesting most of the posts so far are from the non-drinkers of the team.

Blacky

12. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

It's the weekend, maybe they had a big Friday night or they're hitting it right now...

13. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Might have a glass or two of wine on a Friday night with dinner, sometimes a beer with dinner too or maybe after dinner watching tv. Sometimes a nice scotch before dinner. If I'm out I only drink as much as those around me, most of the people I know don't drink or drink very little. I have one friend though who really puts it away, if I'm with him I'll take the Pepsi challenge and smash half a carton of grog, some spirits on top too. That's just how it's done in western Sydney kids.

datto and Perthguy like this.
  14. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Around five or six standard drinks per week. Have gone for protracted periods without drinking at all in the past. Up to a year. For the last few years I have gone without a drink for the number of consecutive days that my age is in years. Just a quirky thing; I do similar things with going vegetarian or vegan or swimming every day for my age/years. I don't follow the dry july or febfast or ocsober campaigns. I just do it when I feel like it.

Have to say, that even though I don't drink very much these days, the clarity and focus and lack of mental fog after not drinking for a while is incredible. I may go for a year without drinking (just to prove a point as others have mentioned) at some point. I do enjoy nice wine, but only before dinner. Strangely I don't like drinking wine or beer with the actual meal itself.

Will have a few tonight, probably bubbly. We are off to a wedding reception at the Grand Sheraton at Main Beach :D

Cheers

Perthguy likes this.
  15. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

You left out the 30-40 range which is where I am now, not good but a lot better than the 60-80 (or sometimes over 100) I used to drink a few months ago. I did this by having drink free days. Cutting down daily consumption was not possible for me, but not starting to drink was possible. The first drink of the day triggers something that makes it impossible to stop. Alcohol is highly addictive in this way, it´s hurt and killed people close to me. They say "One drink is too many and a thousand is not enough", very true unfortunately for many people.

Having alcohol free days, and slowly increasing their frequency, seems to be working. The last 7 days the unit tallies have been 0, 16, 0, 0, 0, 0, 12. So its either nothing or too much, moderation is impossible. As a replacement I drink loads of sparkling water, and a strong green tea concoction with cayenne pepper, ginger and apple cider vinegar. To completely give up alcohol would be awesome, respect for people who can do that.

BNE_Kim likes this.
  16. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

I put 5-10 range as I would have a beer at night after work,dont really touch the spirits at all..

17. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

I'm on the high side;
    - weather here is perfect for drinking beer all year round
    - beer is cheap here
    - no risk of being done for drink driving.

18. geoffw

One has been added.

19. geoffw

Yes, my daughter is in Hanoi.

$1 per beer, two hours where the beer was free.

She had a guy on a motorcycle try to grab her bag when she was drunk on her first night, and she hurt herself trying to keep hold of it. She was successful but was sore for a number of days after.

VB King likes this.
  20. geoffw

I was drinking every day, and found it really hard to stop once I started. I couldn't do just one or two drinks. I tried for a while abstaining and only partaking once a week- but I felt so crap after a big night I just never took it up again.

Perthguy likes this.