How much difference does 10k make

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Ian87, 11th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Hi guys hopefully some of you on here can give me advice on this one.

Currently have 1 ip in Frankston South mortgage of 336k on it and conservative value of around 460 (I think a little more but best to be conservative)

Looking to obtain finance for a 2nd property hoping to use a parental guarantee to loan 106% of funds. Have been offered 505k from nab @4.74 with p&i repayments.

I am self employed last years taxable income was 52k this financial year should hit 62k, partners was 67k and should be same or slightly higher next year.

Ideally I want to get more funds than 505k but worried about changes in lender policy etc so not sure if I should take it while I can? So to cut to the question, if I wait until the end of this financial year and earn that extra 10k roughly how much more will the bank be willing to loan us? Currently got 10k savings and should have around 40k by end of financial year.

Hope someone can offer advice.

Thanks.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

How long ago did NAB offer you $505k? You may find even that is no longer on the table if it was late last year.

3. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Mid Dec last year.....I was worried you would say that. Seems very tough out there right now.

4. Jess Peletier

Hmm - may or may not be okay, personally I'd be conservative and assume it isn't as their servicing changed dramatically mid December. Give them a ring to be sure, and even if they say it's fine I would not put in an unconditional offer based on it.

Or, even better, get a 3rd party (broker) to double check for you based on their new calc.

5. Ian87

Ian87 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

As an aside we are currently saving around 4K per month so we could afford repayments even if it was untennanted. But don't think they take that into consideration.

6. Jess Peletier

Not exactly, no - the expenses they base their calcs on are much higher than your actual expenses.

7. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

NAB changed their policies drastically at the end of November last year, so it comes down to the exact time you spoke with them and whether they actually calculated the capacity correctly based on the new policy - dealing with a lot of NAB people at the time was a joke as they were struggling to keep up with the policy changes and timelines. (we had assessors declining loans, then we would need to call them up and remind them of their own policy and suddenly have the loans approved - happened three different times).

In the end if NAB cannot provide you with the funds, there are alterantive options out there at the same level or greater than NAB for these kinds of deals, so I'd be double checking your borrowing capability if I were you and then proceeding on that basis.

Waiting on the sidelines now can mean that what's possible today may not be possible at all tomorrow. I advised someone of exactly this in July last year, whose accountant advised them to wait until January as they 'thought it would be a better idea'. I've now had to advise them what we spoke about is no longer possible for their situation - quality advice from the accountant.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia