How Much Cash Flow Do You Generate Today???

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MTR, 29th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Have you thought of liquidating some of them and working on improving the cashflow?

MTR likes this.
  2. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

NoBut take a long term view.
    No. One property was purchased for $128k and is now worth $1.8m. If I sell, I pay ~ $400k in capital gains tax. The $400k is sure enough a real liability and is payable at some point, but not until I sell. I would rather hold and enjoy the benefits of what is effectively an interest free loan from the Australia Government of $400k. Apart from the 50% discount on capital gains, what I am describing is the other real benefit of CGs over yield/cashflow. That is, unlike income/cashflow, tax on CGs is deferred, and the deferred tax is effectively invested for your benefit during the period up until you sell.

oracle, Zoolander and MTR like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sometimes its about changing mindset
    Most investors continue accumulating and ignore market cycles.

Just imagine selling prior to downturn and sitting on cash ready for future opportunities

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Fantastic result

For me property is a business, if I can use the capital to continue to grow wealth and cashflow I am in regardless of tax. Good acct helps

Building net worth is good, but at the end of the day its just numbers it needs to translate to financial freedom/cashflow to sustain lifestyle

I never again want to be a slave to property

Sticky, Chabs and SOULFLY3 like this.
  5. Harry30

I get somewhat bemused by all this CF v CG debate. Don’t care whether I get $1 of CG or $1 of CF. All the same, except of course the CG is taxed differently. It is discounted (50%) and deferred (paid on sale and not yearly like CF) which makes a big difference. It is a nice sunny Sunday here in Melbourne, so really trying to avoid this perennial debate. Each to their own I say.

Hung and Marg4000 like this.
  6. Harry30

What do we consider regional? Is Brisbane, Adelaide, Hobart, Canberra regional? Or do you put on these in the same category as Sydney and Melbourne. What about properties right on the edge of capital cities and will eventually chewed up by the urban sprawl. Geelong, Warragul in Melbourne are examples. May take another 25 years for this to happen. And then there are the towns > 3 hours away from a capital city that are in another class altogether. Albany, Bunbury, Albury, etc. All require a different strategy.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No debating at my end, you need both.....but timing is everything

Harry30 likes this.
  8. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Cool mate. Then don't complain about eating food on a budget..
    Taxes are going to eventuate regardless. It how many years of your life are you going to continue to suffer for it?
    peace

9. Harry30

Not suffering and not complaining. Far from it. Comments about cut lunches tongue in cheek. Peace.

10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

The banks do care
    They do require CF to repay prin
    What sort of net yield do you get on the $1.8m property?

11. Harry30

Hi Beano. 1.4% gross yield on $1.8m. $500 per week in rent. Re banks, I essentially rely on large PAYG to fund future purchases. Bought property >20 years ago so large CGT if I sold.

12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

If you choose properties with yields of say 6.5% to 9% surplus used to repay debt in metro markets vs a smaller portfolio wit
    So about 1% net yield ?

13. Harry30

Well, non interst costs are currently running at 36% of gross rent (land tax is the big killer), so your numbers re net yields are spot on.

14. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

I can see the logic why you do not sell
    Paying $400k in tax hurts

Harry30 likes this.
  15. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Your CG over the last 20 years has exceeded my wildest dreams
    It highlights a small % CG difference between several investments is pretty major over 20 yrs

Harry30 likes this.
  16. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Is this just one sample of the many properties in your portfolio ?

Harry30 likes this.
  17. Harry30

Yes. First property I bought 25 years ago. Just out of university. Yield based on current market price. Purchased for $128.5k.

18. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

When you chose properties do you purposely chose CG over higher yielding ?

19. Harry30

Not really. Mind you, on my first property, 25 years ago, I did not know what those terms meant. In fact, I did not even realise the agent was taking dummy bids from the lamppost across the street. Only twigged to this about 5 years after the purchase. Was essentially just muddling my way through, learning as I was going, and trying to avoid making mistakes twice. Since that time, my strategy (if I can call it that) has been to buy close to the city in suburbs that had generally poor reputations but great fundaments and areas I thought would gentrify in the long term. Note that reality on the ground in a suburb is generally 3 to 5 years ahead of what people think (as a market research exercise, I often casually mention some of the suburbs to test reactions, and people will often say, oh that is a ******** place. To me, that’s good). Think of suburbs like Broadmeadows. Focused on suburbs close to the city (10km out from Melbourne CBD). Latest purchases have been in the western suburbs of Melbourne. I suppose I look at the overall long term return. Always had enough money to fund day to day costs so small returns on yield side have not bothered me. Always paid P&I. Never had a single IO loan. Always bought and never ever sold. I am not holding this out as the perfect strategy, or the only strategy, but just saying it is something that has worked ok for me. Beano, I appreciate you showing the interest.

craigc, Marg4000, el caballo and 2 others like this.
  20. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

That is great discipline I wish I had held all the properties I brought instead of selling (I would have 5 more )