How many times can I view a property between cooling off and settlement?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by BigRed, 18th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Partner's mum wants to view the property we just entered into a cooling off period with. I imagine partner wouldn't mind seeing the property again sometime between now and pre-settlement inspection.

Do you see this as an issue or should the real estate/vendor have no problems?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

you can get it into the contract for extra access i believe

Otherwise you're just annoying the agent i guess, so you can make them work for their commission ;)

BigRed likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Can't partner's mum wait till you settle? If she plays her cards right, she may even get coffee and biscuits!

You can always ask, but unless stipulated in the contract the vendor has every right to refuse.

Of course, if mum is just an excuse and you are genuinely thinking of exercising your rights under the cooling off provisions, contact Your solicitor for advice.
    Marg

4. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Appreciate the response. We have building/pest inspections organised tomorrow and have absolutely no reason to pull out right now. I think she can wait yes and agree with you, but I do also feel bad that my parents were able to view the property with us while hers could not at the time. (We are a young couple, first home etc. I think she is just excited, that's all)

5. Marg4000

Are you attending the B & P inspection?
    Can mum come with you?
    Marg

kierank likes this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would be attending the B&P but don’t annoy the inspector.

Big Will likes this.
  7. Marg4000

We always found that what we were told was far more useful and accurate than the written report with all its disclaimers. Inspectors were always happy to answer any questions and a brief "if it were me I'd buy it" cut through all the jargon.

We received a very interesting demonstration of thermal imaging for termites when attending the B&P inspection on one daughter's house.
    Marg

kierank, BigRed and bob shovel like this.
  8. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I am not attending for the duration. Just pointing out a few things I'd like checked specifically and asking/listening to anything he says.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Under the standard contract in NSW the purchaser can only get access once.

10. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Get them through at B&P otherwise you can ask but the can refuse.

They might be more accommodating once it goes unconditional as asking before this time will raise alarms on their side and will likely be rejected... especially if someone's parents are coming through they will either approve it or say 'you paid to much etc etc'.

You will also have a pre-settlement inspection that you are entitled to one week before the settlement this is another time to get them through.

On our last purchase I never inspected it until we went unconditional and then the next inspection after that was the final inspection the day before settlement. My grandparents didn't see it until after we settled but my parents did see it before as they were the ones who inspected it due to the distance (property was in Brisbane - which is where I grew up).

kierank likes this.
  11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Whenever we've got a B&P done, the inspector invites us to be there so they can tell/show us directly what has been found.

The Y-man

kierank likes this.
  12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I always arrange to get there around 15 minutes before the inspector is due to finish. When they are finish, I walk through the property while they explain their findings.

At the same time, I do whatever else I want to do. I have never asked permission to do this.

Terry_w likes this.
  13. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Hope you don't cause a blockage on the toilet but I guess if you were that would be a great time to do that as you can then negotiate afterwards....

That gives me an idea maybe before my next B&P I will make sure I have a big curry a couple hours before I attend.

kierank likes this.