how many of your IPs have you lived in?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by ellejay, 13th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Has anyone lived in a number of their ips to claim tax advantages? How many times can you potentially do this with different ips? What's the difference in taxation terms between moving in straight from purchase then moving out and renting out the ip as opposed to moving in during the first 6 yrs for x period of time and then renting it out again? We're considering moving in to an ip we're currently purchasing but have a few others that have all had nice capital gains. Basically I'm trying to work out the most tax efficient way of selling these over the next 20 or so years.

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just throwing it out there, if you sell after giving up the day job/reducing income/salary this may be the best way to go. However may not be at all practical.

3. ellejay

Hi, I'm finishing up work in December at the latest so would be selling them gradually to fund retirement.

MTR likes this.
  4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Have turned 2 x PPOR's into IP's. Never lived in one that I have bought as an IP first.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am going to have to pay CGT this financial year, however I don't have to pay my tax till the following year in May 2017, its nice to have more time up your sleeve. If you can do the same it does help with cash flow.

Last edited: 13th Jun, 2016
    ellejay likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Since you can only claim one PPOR exemption at a time (including 6 year absence) it is hard to see much advantage flitting from one IP to another.
    Marg

Tranquilo likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There could be.

Imagine you own 3 IPs and had lived in eqch of them just after purchasing. When selling any that property could be cgt free.

Also it may be possible to choose the property with the most capital gain as the main residence even though you may be selling another.

This choice only has to be made at the sale of the first of the 3.

Ed Barton, WattleIdo and MTR like this.
  8. ellejay

Thanks Terry. I wonder if this still works if you move overseas, move into an ip as ppor but whilst still tax resident in Aus?!, Could be fun, but could there also be tax advantages?

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes. Works while overseas.

ellejay likes this.
  10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've kept two 'PPORs' as IPs, and our current PPOR is still an IP in the bigger picture. There is an opportunity to modify it into a long-term home, but even tonight we discussed that we would simply buy a completed version and keep this one.

ellejay likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

so Bran what are the advantages of doing this?

12. ellejay

Terry just called it I think. You could pay 0% cgt on the one that makes the highest capital gain.

13. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

No planned advantage, I've bought houses when I've needed them and kept them. Mostly I've been required to move, and not wished to move back in. The first was a dud (LMR, so may one day come good), the second was lucky (also LMR, good developable block), the third is a 'blue chip' stepping stone. The fourth was the first time i've bought something strictly as an IP. I suspect the next few will also be (unless the right next 5-10 year PPOR comes up).

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure this is exactly was Jan and Ian Somers did, school teachers relocated regularly and collected primary homes which became IPs

HUGH72 likes this.
  15. ellejay

If I was you I'd be planning a temporary move to my ppor in US ;)

MTR likes this.
  16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Is that so? It hasn't paid off yet, but it has allowed us to make minor cosmetic improvements, sit for a bit, play in the garden, and collect the next house deposit.

Actually... when i say it hasn't paid off, I'm pretty sure I've only ever paid cash for my first deposit = 2.8% of the portfolios value. Still on a fairly high LVR though

MTR likes this.
  17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Normally when a persons ceases to be an Australian tax resident they lose the 50% CGT discount. However when a property is CGT exempt the discount concession isnt relevant. Exemption prevails. What this means is that the person may leave their former home and retain use of the 6 year absence rule so that the first 6 years are tax free.

ellejay likes this.
  19. ellejay

That's really interesting. So, if I had a property that is CGT exempt because I'd lived in it from day one (ppor) and one in an smsf then neither of these would trigger a CGT payment?