How many more years of pain for the Perth market?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Citycat88, 12th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

How many more years of pain for the Perth market?

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. 1 year

45 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. 2-3 years

129 vote(s)
    43.9%
  3. 4-7 years

60 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. 8+ years - similar to the GFC in some other countries

34 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Indefinite - a Japan style asset bubble collapse for decades to come

26 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am an outsider looking in ..... but Have you been to Fremantle lately? very disappointing these days, it needs a serious makeover/injection of funds, its looking very shabby and attracting many undesirables on the main strip, shame really its got so much potential.

radson and Rusty12 like this.
  2. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Agree totally. I am not a fan on Freo but it is still pushed as a tourist destination. Go there first thing in the morning and its sad to see the number of people living rough on the streets.

MTR likes this.
  3. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Perth has to compete with the East Coast for tourism and is never going to do that well. Within short flight they can visit Barrier Reef, Sydney, Melbourne, South East QLD adding in a 4 hour flight to see Perth which doesn't have anything better than can be had in SE Qld for a tourist.

And for the pleasure of visiting Perth you will spend way more on a beer and dinner than you can get in Sydney/Melbourne the two world renowned cities.

wogitalia and Ed Barton like this.
  4. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

whilst enjoying a stunning sunset over the glorious beaches.:)

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Perth doesn't want that market. Its better off getting the tourists from Asia! It's got serious potential to tap into Asia

6. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Asians want to see the same things as everyone else.
    Opera house/Harbor, Reef, Rock and maybe Kakadu...

Perth needs a proper draw-card to bring people in. a "can't miss this" kinda thing either that, or an event.

Perth is a lovely place, don't get me wrong, but without a world class draw-card, no one would ever know.

Ed Barton and BB5 like this.
  7. bob shovel

It has some of the best beaches in oz and flights are significantly cheaper. That's a start. Perthians go to Bali instead of over east.

Throw in some work/travel opportunities and win win

JohnPropChat likes this.
  8. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

But realistically they aren't any better than Sydney's beaches to tourists. Whilst Sydney has the nightlife and restaurant precincts along them, the Harbour bridge, Opera house, High end shopping etc

Also there isn't even any world class resort hotels by the beaches are there? Whilst the Gold coast has numerous

I imagine most tourists to Perth are visiting family who live there or backpackers who are travelling the whole of Australia.

Citycat88 and Ed Barton like this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

You're missing the bigger picture.

Perth IS awesome. Sunsets beaches wine, the river, kings park...fantastic.

The problem is so are many, many other places.

You need something Unique to bring people in. Something amazing that crucially...nowhere else has.

And then flog the hell out of it for a decade or so.

Think of it form the perspective of a factory owner in Vietnam. He decides he wants to go to Australia...what do you think are the first images and brochures he's going to see?

Hint:It's probably not Perth.

Colin Rice, Citycat88 and Ed Barton like this.
  10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Agree with the above re; Perth Attractions. I've been to Perth once, was a stop over before connecting flight to Bali.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

there are many desirable locations in Perth but geographica

what about a mini Perth Vegas?
    I think what we really need is a new Premier, without this we are doomed

moridog and Colin Rice like this.
  12. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I have had over 100 people stay in my Airbnb pad at home. Most of them are from overseas. Perth has never been on anybody's radar. It's Sydney, Melbourne, The GC and increasingly Tassie - the impact MONA has had on Hobart must be huge.

Ed Barton likes this.
  13. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

It isn't that Perth/WA has a lack of attractions. It just has a lack of marketing them, and the mining boom pushed the hospitality prices through the roof comparative to the rest of the country.

Rottnest is one of a kind.
    Margaret River produces some of the best surf and wine in the world.
    Ningaloo is better and more accessible than the Great Barrier Reef.
    Kings Park is pretty spectacular and I think the largest metropolitan park in the world (or something along those lines).

But sadly all of the above places aren't actually set up well for international tourists. Rottnest is expensive and poorly run. Margaret River should be closer to a major airport of some kind. Ningaloo isn't marketed like the Great Barrier Reef. Kings Park has similar issues for marketing/pricing/access.

radson and bob shovel like this.
  14. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It's distance. Always will be. People can fly from Sydney to Hobart in an hour and a half, hire a car and see some great stuff. They can fly to Melbourne and The GC in less than that. If they make the trek to Perth, something like Ningaloo is a 1,200 klm drive - I've done it. And Kings Park isn't very exciting.

15. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Yes Margaret River is somewhere that I would like to visit, but being from SA there are too many wonderful locations I dont get to see enough already that are far more accessable. Adelaide Hills, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale and Barrossa Valley.

BB5 likes this.
  16. bob shovel

Yes i understand big tickets items are over east but do you understand when i say flights are cheaper and not as long to over east? They can get tourists, they just need to work for it

17. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Yeah but are the flights much quicker and cheaper to the big Asian markets of China, Japan and Korea?

Also if the tourists are that budget conscious they probably won't like Perth dining/nightlife.

Don't get me wrong I like Perth, but it is just not convenient or desirable enough for Mass tourism.

18. wogitalia

wogitalia Well-Known Member

Perth is the equivalent of a huge gate covered in "Keep Out" stickers to tourists, which is a real shame because once you get out of Perth there is a ton of amazing things to see and do in this state.

The problem is Perth is about as unwelcoming as a city can be. The airport is woeful, the people are unfriendly (at best), the costs are astronomical for the 4 main factors for tourists (transport, accommodation, food and drinks) and quite frankly outside of a couple of nice beaches there just isn't anything in Perth.

It really is a pity because there is so much potential but I feel like we've gone backwards in recent times.

19. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

Living in Perth I would love to say I holiday here in WA. But I usually don't.
    It is too expensive for a carefree break. I would love to go down south or up to Broome for example but I can be in Bali in 3 and a bit hours.
    I know some people don't like Bali but for a week away sitting by the pool we can not get close to the prices. Lots of Perth people don't even holiday in their own backyard.

20. bob shovel

Perth is only just a city, so "mass tourism" is off the cards for a while yet. There is still a tourism market though and it can be bigger. They can increase the numbers. Bus loads of tourists go out daily to the pinnacles and wave rock etc. It's just a smaller ball game to Sydney and co

I'm a tourist here and they have a tourism market and people are coming here. It's a different scale and different market compared to an international city like sydney.
    True. Its still a slightly closed mind country town that are wary of newcomers and people that look different. 20 years behind mentality, it can only improve though!