How many days does it take to put up a 3metre x 8 metre brick wall please.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by justine77, 30th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Please can someone tell me how many days does it take to put up a 3 metre x 8 metre brick wall please

neighbour is building a wall on my fenceline so existing fence will be taken down and i'm hoping to make some agreement maybe more brickies are needed or how to speed it up so my property isnt left open to traffic from the street as the neighbour is on a corner and without proper fences.

I've had work done before elsewhere where my fence was open but the neighbour wasnt a corner property so everything was enclosed and safe

last time the fence was broken i was robbed so i'm wanting an idea of how long it takes to build a 3x8 metre wall or if more brickies could help do it faster so my property isnt open to the traffic from the street for long at all.

even with temporary fencing i'm sure during the day builders wont always be careful and this is a worry for me.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3 x 8 x 50 = 1200 bricks

That's 3 days for one man

Add excavation and footing - 1 week

Lucky if you have less than 2 weeks downtime.

boeman likes this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I got my 3600 brick fence built in 3 days.
    2 brickies and a labourer.

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

if youre really that concerned why dont you get them to put up a temporary fence just inside your land, where they can still build the new brick parapet wall unimpeded. then, when the wall is complete they can remove the temp fence. this way you dont have the worry of the fence not being put up corretly or moved during construction etc.

ultimately the reality is that you can hope for the absolute best outcome and it does sometimes occur but you cant bank on it. i would therefore prioritise your peace of mind re safety even if it means a bit more inconvenience potentially or the temp fence being on your land in the meantime etc.

depending on finish of the wall (eg rendered and painted or facebrick) they will need to access your side later on to finish it but by then your structure will be built.

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

what about the prep work?

i reckon realistically 10 days is a decent time to allow for from when fence is first removed then temp fencing/excavation/actual brickwork etc.

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

And if the bricklayer stuffs up even longer :mad:.

7. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Yeh the 3 days is only laying bricks.
    I hired a digger and dug 500x500 footings and put the rebar in, in one day, poured the concrete the next and left it a week before getting the bricks done.

Arnel likes this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I doubt more brickies will drop their jobs for a days work. ...but you never know doesn't hurt to ask

You guys need better brickies ...or just a gun labourer like me :p many moons ago there was me and 5 brickies doing a house in 3-4 days

9. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Could I suggest you ask you insurer how to protect yourself? They will certainly know!
    I hope this helps

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

[

You guys need better brickies ...or just a gun labourer like me :p many moons ago there was me and 5 brickies doing a house in 3-4 days[/QUOTE]
    Two of my sons used to run a crew of 8 each out of Gladstone when it went crazy. 7 day rotation, 12 hr day, they used to send me pics working under lights of their cars, all living together in a half finished house. came home skinny as . Had to do a house and a base per day.

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Two of my sons used to run a crew of 8 each out of Gladstone when it went crazy. 7 day rotation, 12 hr day, they used to send me pics working under lights of their cars, all living together in a half finished house. came home skinny as . Had to do a house and a base per day.[/QUOTE]

that's the way! I was in central qld with guys from the gold coast. We were at biloela and nebo, except we had caravan and tents and slept on site. Best way to do it to actually keep some of your money!

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Do you have a friend with a German Shepard or similar type dog that know you and could be on a free run chain in the back yard ?

Otherwise hire some temporary fence, was probably just bad luck last time.