How many credit cards do you have?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by MTR, 1st Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yep, I read an article which claimed that the average interest saving for most people who do this was about $10-20/month.

I have one but looking to pay off and close asap.

2. Scandrew

Scandrew Well-Known Member

2 x credit cards: Mac bank ($10k I share with my wife) and AMEX ($10k).

Generally, all our bills and everyday spending goes on the Mac card and the balance gets cleared monthly by direct debit. The AMEX is the same but I only recently signed up to it (under instructions by wife) to obtain easy points (as per Ozbargain =P).

jyeung80 likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

OK, did you make money:).... that's the most important thing;)

Kassy likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

you are disciplined, I am weak:(

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I have one credit card I use all the time, and a debit card as backup. I've gone several weeks without having any cash available. One time I needed $2 cash, I had to scrape around the house for coins.

I try to avoid shops which don't offer credit card. Or shops which try to set a minimum charge - the card companies now only charge a percentage of a sale, it's only a lame attempt by the shop to get people to buy more. But they have no idea of how much they lose because some people only want to use a card.

My daughter once lined up for a sub, which came to $9.90. They wouldn't accept her card, so she walked away leaving the made sub behind.

Ben_j likes this.
  6. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

Have 4

Visa $15k limit - Daily
    Visa $15k limit - rental expenses (makes it easy at tax time to ensure no expenses get missed)
    Visa $10k limit - Backup (mainly for when traveling and main Visa gets frozen, kept with spare passport)
    Amex $5k limit - daily for when Amex accepted

All paid of in full each month, no annual fees (included in packages etc)

7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I often want to do that but don’t want to apply for the cards and impact my credit file so I haven’t yet. I might when I’m done buying houses. Not sure I trust myself enough to do it right though

8. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

2 cards

1 for everyday spending got on a deal Citi platinum reward card, fee free for life
    trying to get them to give me their top card, Citi Prestige card fee-free life so far no luck but I keep trying every time they court me to up my limit :)

1 for travel overseas and purchase overseas (28 Degree), where the exchange rate is market rate and no markup (I import probably 70% of all my stuff from the US, from electronic to fashion)

9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

What! How do I get a spare passport!

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Be a citizen of more than one country.

11. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

for oversea use, 28 degree changed their fee structure when i was looking in to them.. if you are aware then ok.. bankwest better the last time i checked.. again they might also changed their fees and conditions.. i just cba amex plat now just because its easier.. but getting some place to accept amex is just too hard so i keep the bankwest as a backup

12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Ahh! I didn’t know you actually got two physical passports. The things I learn on this forum:)

13. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My daughters are dual citizens. Sometimes there's a considerable saving with visas using their other passport.

14. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I just got a new one, once I have verified after 2 months that I moved all recurring payments to the new card I will cancel the old one. Same limit.

I changed because the old card was not rewarding me in the way I thought it was, I thought it was just FF points for spend, turns out it was capped to 2,500 points per month.

Being that we have used the card to make purchases of new furniture and electronics before the move a couple of months ago, I lost out on a LOT of points because of this "cap".

New card isn't capped but the points go to half accrual rate after so many points and if we spend so much in the first 60 days (already done) I get a bonus 100,000 points. The card is paid off each month, I don't like paying interest for nothing :p

FF is the only rewards program I do so I needed to make sure the card was giving me the maximum benefit for my chosen program.

I am now at enough points for my wife and I to fly return to the UK and whilst there zip across to all the countries in Europe we want to visit. My goal was to have that many by the time I retire which is still a good 10 year away, who knows by then I may have enough for us to do it first class ;)

15. Athikalaka

Athikalaka Well-Known Member

2 Cards:

28 Degrees ($2500 limit - you can't get that anymore, min limit is now $6000)
    AMEX Platinum Edge ($3000 limit)

Majority of my payments are done on card. AMEX for the points and 28 Degrees as my fallback if there's a surcharge for AMEX. If there's a surcharge for credit cards then I'll use cash/EFT.

28 Degrees for international purchases. No annual fee. I'm sure there are others that now bring out international fee free etc. but they usually have a $6000 min limit or something that will make the deal less appealing to what I already have.

Platinum Edge doesn't give me lounges but that's okay. It would be nice to complement it with my 28 degrees but I don't travel all that much. The points I gain in supermarkets and petrol are a nice bonus. It was a choice between Explorer or Platinum Edge but I think I worked out the % of my expenses attribute to groceries so Platinum Edge won out long term. The $200 travel credit offsets the $195 annual fee but finding use for it can be a pain as domestic flights & accommodation deals are always available.

I pay all my cards on time and I'm aware of my statement period so I try to maximise the 55 day interest free period. On top of the CCard budgeting, I also use CashRewards and AGL Rewards to purchase eGift Cards for Woolworths and Coles. If you can work out how much you use per month and purchase enough, you get interest free period + 5% off on your gift card purchase. If you have an Opal Card (Sydney users), use your 5% discounted eGift Card and top up your Opal at Woolworths. That means your groceries and your public transport are essentially 5% off. Every $ counts, right?

Observer and MTR like this.
  16. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I got zero.
    Used to have one to play with points.. but after the yearly fee, it would have equated to $100/year. I simply don't spend enough.

Every place I've been to has always accepted my debit card. I've never produced a credit card for these things.. and I've hired many cars, worldwide.

MTR likes this.
  17. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

1 card that I've had for years and paid off every month. The dollar value of the points I get on it slightly exceeds the annual fee, so it is worth keeping otherwise I'd be more than happy with just a debit card.

18. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

3 cards for personal use

Visa - 3k setup as overdraft
    M/C - 7k used occassionally - always paid off in full
    AMEX - don’t use it. Setup with M/C

19. ZachAnsel

ZachAnsel Well-Known Member

Have two, fully paid each months.

Paid every single expenses (whenever possible) for frequent flyer points, free lounge airports, and pro-long the offset account.

Call the provider and threat you want to leave if they didn't remove annual fee. I never paid since joining about 10 years ago.

20. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I have 2:

- 28 degrees: used to purchase everything when on holidays as there isn't any conversion tax between AUD and any other currency :)
    Also with the price protection, you can get a refund for 6 months if your item get a discount and if you pay your credit card on time, you don't even have to pay for this price protection!! I've saved thousands of $$$ since I got it!!!
    E.g. You buy a TV now and in 5 months it get discounted, you can then claim the difference. And if you pay your credit card on time, you doesn't even cost you a cent!

- NAB Platinium: Used for daily purchased, as explained by the Property Couch. You can then keep as much money as you can on your offset account and only transfer money to pay your credit card once a month.