How many can live in one bedroom apartment ?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Sigemup, 25th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sigemup

Sigemup Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

How many people can live in a one bedroom apartment ?

If 2 live on usual basis and 2 people visit often is that permitted. (assuming they visit for a total of abt 4 months in a year ?

1. in own unit
    2. in rented unit ?

are there any rules about this ?

2. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

There may be strata rules on this and there will certainly be rules if you’re leasing.

But why would you even want four people in a one bedroom? Sounds like hell. Two people in a one bedroom is bad enough.

Kapot and spludgey like this.
  3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

After the fire at Lacross, Docklands, some 2-bedders were found to be sleeping 8 (4 x bunk beds) so I guess the answer is six. At $125 pw each, not a bad return .... until you're found out.

datto likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you're considering hot-bedding it you could get 3 x shifts so that'll make 12 living in the unit but only 4 in there at any one time.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Depends on the council. General rule is 2 people per bedroom. Anything above that is fire hazard risk. Just like the two Chinese students that sadly died during the fire due to overcrowding.

6. Sigemup

Sigemup Well-Known Member

This is about family visitors guys. not for renting to others. So please let me know.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hi Noobieboy, why would three kids in a room in a suburban house be considered a fire hazard risk compared to just two?

I grew up with a brother and two sisters and all 4 of us shared a room - in a farm house - for several years. From a fire evacuation perspective, it was probably safer if anything than having one child per room.

I don’t believe Council could actually force a parent to have no more than two kids per bedroom in a house they own...

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I would say that out in the suburbs councils keep a blind eye to over crowding unless something happens.

I remember a 3 bedroom house up the road had 2 families living in it with about 6 kids! They were there for years.

They were forced out when their neighbour, who was a kleptomaniac pyromaniac, burnt all his stolen goods in one of their bedrooms.

For weeks after that the council ranger could be seen driving around checking houses and booking people for illegal parking.

9. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I don’t believe a short family visit would matter. They could sleep in the living room if needed. Kids too, usually councils would turn a blind eye as mentioned above if it is a family unit or and there are adults to supervise them.

Family and renting bedrooms out are two different beasts. Having non family members in overcrowded conditions could attract liability ( should anything unfortunate happen).

10. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

We had family over a few Christmases back and I vaguely recall 22 (or maybe 23 - can't recall if a certain niece - baby was born or not) in our 5 bed place for a week. It was awesome.

11. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

What about this one .
    Its supposed to be a 5 bedroom house, but has been turned into 11 bedrooms and run as a boarding house, but without any approvals, even for all the additional rooms.

Video reveals 11-room boarding house disguised as regular home