how low will rba rates go, and how much will banks pass on

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by SharonC, 13th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SharonC

SharonC Active Member

hi all.
    just wondering thoughts on how much lower rba rates further will go down from 0.50%, and if there is quantative easing after that, how much are the banks going to pass on to customers from now.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

hard to gauge really

Not something I would rely on any form of strategy

ta
    rolf

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

how will the answer affect how you invest?

4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Almost certainly another 0.25, by April meeting if not before. Banks are then in a tricky spot, if they pass it on in full it will further compress their margins, which probably isn't even in the national interest at this point, but at the same time they need to be seen to pass on some, if I had to guess (and I haven't really no idea) I reckon they won't pass it on in full, maybe 15 to 20 basis points this time.

5. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

I wonder if the fixed rates would go down further

6. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Not in UK:

Four banks increase mortgage rates despite the Bank Rate being cut

Some of Britain's biggest lenders have hiked rates on their fixed-term mortgages despite a steep interest cut by the Bank of England designed to ease the pressure on millions of borrowers.

Lenders including HSBC increased charges on some loans after the Bank slashed the base rate from 0.75pc to 0.25pc.

A cut of this magnitude would normally result in mortgages becoming cheaper – saving families hundreds of pounds and easing any financial pressure as the coronavirus outbreak brings the country to a halt.

Most lenders have passed the savings on to customers with tracker rate mortgages. But HSBC, the country’s sixth biggest mortgage lender, has increased the interest rate on its fixed-term loans by as much as 0.1 percentage points.

Accord Mortgages – which is part of Yorkshire Building Society – and Leeds Building Society both increased the price of new fixed-rate loans
    Banks cash in on coronavirus by increasing mortgage rates

7. SharonC

SharonC Active Member

wow. you and i got the answer within a wk, with cba's new fixed rates

8. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

I was watching Four Corners on COVID19 and RBA Governor mentioned how they are working close with Political leaders and everyome needs to do their bit during these times-Does it mean they make cut IR again and make it record Zero?

Main question How much banks will pass on ?

9. geeza

geeza Well-Known Member

St George didn’t pass on the last cut for variable loans right? I think only for fixed rates, I think all the big banks did the same

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia