How long will foreign investment in Aus property continue?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Coxy89, 7th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Bugger - I sold out of this area too early (not). NW rail adjoining/under the block, M2 very close, odd shaped block, no street frontage to formed road, bushfire prone, non-subdivisible ;)

2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I Would say it's neither a sign of strength nor a sign of weakness. Money is like water..flows from one point to another of less pressure till the landscape changes and therr are better deals vs risk...
    In 20 years, who knows..the real estate money may be going into places in Africa, etc...

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

I think foreign investment will continue while the (financial) climate is good.
    May interesting point raised by others...
    One more point is the Asian concept of land banking......buying to hold (often cash) and following the capital growth.
    And "safe as houses" can be in Australia...:)
    It also gives a safe haven for those who can afford to move out from particular countries when they may experience internal difficulties.

4. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

You got this part absolutely correct.

5. hidflect

hidflect Member

I think the influx of Chinese money is a sign of weakness not strength. It's the fleeing of people who know/can see the end of times for China's economy and are gittin' while the gittin's good.

6. Gibson

Gibson Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    Interesting front page of the Weekend AFR today "Shanghai Rout hits property developers"
    A few of the large mainland developers that are building here in Sydney have had a shocking week w their share prices dropping. Some of which have paid overs for large dev sites

7. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

No its 50 times, not 500.
    If/when Australia starts to clamp down on money laundering (like the rest of the first world is doing) Chinese demand would drop off sharply as a lot of the funds are illicit. Australia is preferred at the moment over other destinations since for some reason it is currently embracing corrupt cash. Evasion is easier in Australia since real estate agents and lawyers don't have to report anything.

8. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

True its not really possible to "run out" just generate higher and more dense uses. The sky (and the physics of construction) is the limit for tower apartments.

9. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

True!
    Lucky I don't need good maths skills to be a property investor!o_O

Toon and Darren A like this.
  10. Darren A

Darren A Well-Known Member

Cheeky but I love it.

11. radson

radson Well-Known Member

After the Chinese, we have 1/4 billion Indonesians and 1.3 billion Indians waiting for their day in the sun.

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I think we will see more and more from the subcontinent migration in the next decade...and heavily focussed on the 4 biggest cities. Already have seen quite a bit in in syd and Mel...Brisbane is incraesing .