How long to get existing house plans from council (Bris)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Blueskies, 11th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any experience on how long it would take to get plans of an existing house from council?

Planning an extension of our current home (Brisbane city council), and the builder has requested original plans so he can add on the additional rooms. applied online to BCC and received an email telling me to expect it to take 15 business days! (Plus a $90 archive retrieval fee to boot) Is there any way to accelerate this, I've heard it may be go possible to go into council offices to view plans? Or am i just being impatient and need to expect this kind of turnaround when dealing with council?

Thanks in advance

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

No one wants to pay high rates, but everyone expects councils to have staff ready to meet their enquiry at any time!

Three weeks does sound quite long. But I expect it will take much less time to retrieve it from offsite storage and copy it. They will be giving you a 'worst case' scenario just in case.

Are you sure there are actually plans?

Blueskies likes this.
  3. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Damn straight! Actually I just would like them to be half as efficient as the private sector ;)

Just kidding, bcc are actually pretty good to be fair. thanks for the response, and yes council have confirmed plans exist (only took a day so happy with that!) :)

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You mean like the private sector landscaping guy Ms Ali has been dealing with!