How long til completion do you reckon?

Discussion in 'Development' started by beachgurl, 2nd Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I have a build on the go in Brisbane that I think will be completed ahead of schedule - shock horror I know. The builder is not committing to an earlier completion date, and continues to stick by the contracted deadline of mid-Feb next year.
    In the past two weeks, the kitchen has been installed, the driveway is in and the tilers are currently on site. I'm thinking that it should be wrapped up by end of November.
    For those who regularly build, do you reckon I'm on the money?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@beachgurl - Is it a 50 storey block of units or a granny flat?

Seriously though, even though the builder may be well on schedule to finish prior to Christmas, and programme will run for a few more months beyond that, they won't revise the programme and bring forward the handover date until a few weeks before completion.

If they get delayed by rain or other extension of time event, they want to keep all the time up their sleeves and claim the EOT costs.

Archaon likes this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

We moved into our house 5 weeks after kitchen cabinets were installed and driveway was completed.

It was a 7 months construction (25th October to 25th May). That included the demolition of the old house and a closedown for a couple of weeks over Christmas.

... and I t was a big house, 660+sqm

I reckon yours could be completed mid to late October, with a bit of luck.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

They may be on schedule to finish early but they juggle other jobs usually so may be sending trades to work elsewhere, knowing they contractually have no worries to do so. Not saying this will be the case but it's possible. Otherwise I think if they keep going at this rate, they should be done within 8-12 weeks. I'm assuming it's a single-family dwelling.

kierank likes this.
  5. kierank

If I was building a house in Brisbane and had the option of completing the build before the Summer storms hit, I would. Handover the problem (should it occur) to someone else :eek:.

When our neighbours were building their house a couple of years ago, half of their front yard ended up in ours. Their builder had to retrieve it; I don’t know who paid for the variation :D.

Sackie likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You could afford to pay it , I've seen your place - it's a mansion :p

7. kierank

If I had to pay for it, I would have kept it instead.

Free soil plus cash still in the bank :p.