How long should it take to put a coat of paint on house interior?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Otie, 1st Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

That's because he was the village idiot and he was kicked out of Germany and told to go to Australia.

But of more interest to me is your building company. If you care about little things like that then I am interested and would imagine that you are one of the rare few who actually really gives a damn about his art. Could you please PM your details?

2. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

For a prima Donna painter that makes no mistakes, The paint issue is about the behaviour of the paint during painting, the consistency of the product and knowledge about its use. Once you have painted 100 walls with the same paint you begin to get a feel for it and this allows you to paint faster with it and make less mistakes. You know how it mixes, you understand its drying time and you know how it behaves under the light to know how to paint it. You know how it absorbs into other paint or walls. So tradies usually go and get a fairly good paint at solvers and just use that.

Trust me the best thing you can do is wait for the half price specials on the top Taubmans paint and then buy it up and get painting with the most expensive high quality rollers and brushes.

Besides wall preparation is the hardest part and most untalked about important part. Prep is everything.

I usually turn the electricity off and with boiling hot water wash and detergent the old wall washng it with a brush, before rinsing again. Then I sand down all the rubbish work done by the plasterer and previous painter, I lightly sand down with the finest paper every wall and shine a lamp on every wall and looking for the uneven mess, rinse that off after fixing and sanding the filler and then let it dry while running the reverse cycle with cleaned filters so as to capture all the dust continually and then I start painting ceilings first. 30% or so gloss on the walls more for a rental, and even on the ceiling I like some gloss but with the best paints. So basically it takes me three four days of preparation of a wall for painting not including drying time and then I throw three coats on it and I have peace and quite for ten years or more. I have seen 100% gloss ceilings and it's stunning.
    I do it because after a renter leaves I basically hot pressure wash the house and wash the walls and ceilings all the light fittings and fans. I get the grout clean and seal it again but I have since moved to porcelain tiles. It takes me about a week and a bit per room.

I could write a book about preparing a property for rental to be practically maintenance free rental properties and easy to clean after a vacancy. When prospective tenants visit my properties the first thing they say is they have never seen such a clean house.

3. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

@Ald great reply there bud. Would definitely be interested to hear more about preventative maintenance tips with an aim to make them practically maintenance free in the future.