How long does it take to get council approval for renovation of unit interior

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Sigemup, 12th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sigemup

Sigemup Well-Known Member

Hi guys

How long does it take to get council / strata approval for renovation of unit interior. Like new kitchen and bathroom and hardwood flooring..

Is it required ?

Thank you

2. Sigemup

Hi guys,

Any inputs on the above question ?

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes required, strata approval not council. Depends your scope of works. Any structural work will take longer due to needing engineers report, general meeting scheduled, by laws drawn up by conveyancer etc. Then voting takes places, amendments may be needed and dang and dong and dong and dang . Could take 3-6 weeks for everything to be approved. Longer in some cases.

Make sure you get approval. Not getting approval come sale time could also have implications.

4. Sigemup

Does it mean that the approval needs to be obtained before the Sale / Purchase of the property ? Is that possible ?

Thank you

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Retrospective is much more difficult if that's what you mean.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

No he means if you don't get approval and then you go to sell it you will run into a lot of difficulties.

It may be beneficial to get a copy of past meeting minutes for the building so you can see how open they are to renovation work. You should always get past minutes and body corporate financials regardless so you can see how financially stable to body corp is, if there are any future plans for a large project that will need a special levy etc

7. Sigemup

I am bit confused by the first statement because I am looking to buy rather than sell - do you mean to say buy in this

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Eventually you will want to sell. If you don't get approvals then it will be harder to sell it down the track and getting retrospective approval is hard.
    In you case you will buy then ask for permission, get approval then eventually sell.

Sigemup likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

So you're looking to buy a unit then renovate?

Everything we've said above still applies. When you want to renovate you'll still need to go the process i mentioned and Westy was giving you a good idea to look through the minutes before buying to be aware of any upcoming works, special levy etc.

The selling comment i made was IF you wanted to sell one day and didn't get approval for your reno then you could have problems .

Sigemup likes this.
  10. Sigemup

If I understand correctly - this is because when I look to sell - the new buyer would check if the reno has approval ? is that what you mean ?

Also, just to check - if I do not do any reno or anything like that, do I still need to get strata approval to sell a unit that I own ?

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes they could. But also your lawyer has a form you need to fill out which askes you of and works you did to your unit and if you had obtained approval .

QUOTE="Sigemup, post: 689168, member: 19187"]
    Also, just to check - if I do not do any reno or anything like that, do I still need to get strata approval to sell a unit that I own ?[/QUOTE]

No.

Sigemup likes this.