How Long Does It Take to Build 12 Storey Apartment With 3 Level Basement

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tnoz, 25th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Tnoz

Tnoz Member

Hi All,
    want to find what the approximate time frame it takes to build a 12 Storey Apartment with 3 level basement?

2. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

how much money you got?

Seriously though, do you have the building approvals sorted? Finance? Need pre-sales?

Without knowing much information, I would say 3 years.

Shazi likes this.
  3. Tnoz

Tnoz Member

sorry for the insufficient information, just want to understand how long it takes to build from the point there is a hole in the ground. I'm not a developer just interested in purchasing.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have they achieved the DA? Are they lodging a S96? Is it going to the L&E Court?

Have you requested the construction programme/critical path?

What's the construction methodology?

Have the plans been reviewed for buildability?

Is there an experienced Development Manager, PM, site manager, contracts manager, structures and fixout foreman?

What stage is the construction finance? Does each progress payment require scrutiny of a QS?

What's in the ground? (Sand, shale, clay, rock, sandstone, Play-Doh, loam etc? Have the foundation been reviewed by a geotechnical engineer & designed by a structural engineer?

I'd punt 5 wks/floor on the structure, another 3-4 weeks/floor for the fixout, 3 months on excavation, extra for shoring, 4 weeks inclement weather.

DA for strata subdivision, registration of titles etc can chew up another few months.

Generally a lift takes 26 weeks which is the item with a longest lead time.

5. Tnoz

Tnoz Member

Hi Scott No Mates,

I know DA is approved, there's no foundation layed out yet, so far they've dug a deep hole.

Do you think its possible to complete a 12 level apartment with 3 level basement in 7 months?

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Absolutely definitely 100% not going to happen
    If you've purchased OTP and have a sunset clause start thinking about what you want to do

7. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

I have worked on a few projects similar sized. Once they have finished excavation, I would estimate somewhere between 12-24 months.

The thing that slows the whole process down, is the internal fitout as it’s quite difficult to get all the various trades in sequence. It’s pretty amazing how quickly they construct the all the slabs/outside shell of the building though.

If the builder is a fairly long term established construction company, they typically use the same contractors on all their jobs and have the experience of all working in sync so they might be able to get it all built a lot quicker (around the 12-18 month mark).

8. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

Definitely not.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They have got substantial commencement, that's about how far it's going to go if there's only 7 months to go to the sunset date. The DA won't lapse now.

turk likes this.