How long before we will begin seeing prices falling?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by giraffez, 5th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Agreed - we're waiting atm, while watching the market very closely. Waiting until the new financial year so we can sell a second older unit (that has done it's run) and free up the cash - waiting until consumer sentiment kicks in and the market slows so we're not trying to outbid half a dozen others who are suffering fomo ... basically waiting until things slow enough that we can walk in with cash and put a low but unconditional offer on the table with a "take it or leave it"

I don't like the auction or silent bidding squabbling - it's undignified

2. Mr Burns

Mr Burns Well-Known Member

Remember if you wait 1 year and prices are flat with 5% inflation. Prices have falling in real terms.

giraffez and Arthurark like this.
  3. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

I am assuming we are not talking about hyperinflation here,

Since we are coming from almost zero rate with extreme high debt and an decade long extreme low inflation environment to a normal or even slight high inflation trajectory,
    existing debt/leverage burden will first bring all asset prices down.
    'cash invested' and 'borrowing to invest' are two different things,
    There is a time to leverage and there is a time to deleverage, not every price is investable

Last edited: 6th May, 2022
  4. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

In the last 4 days I’ve received 3 random phone calls from agents I’ve come across at opens earlier this year to “see where I’m at”.
    This NEVER happened in 2020/21 in the hot market. This indicates to me that something is happening.
    Even if the prices are just settling, that’s better than what was happening.

giraffez and Lizzie like this.
  5. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Did you end up buying over 2020 2021 and currently in 2022?

Which area?

6. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

No I didn’t buy as everything was over inflated. I’m in Melbourne.

virhlpool likes this.
  7. SouthieMonk

SouthieMonk Well-Known Member

borrowing capacity is being effected. how do you expect prices wont fall? who is going to buy if banks are lending like late 2021.

8. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

I have been trying to educate agents all week. I have made multiple offers for clients on decent homes. Solid cash offers slightly above the pre auction marketing range (and fair on actual comps). Agents keep calling saying they wont sell unless offer is $100k or more higher but they keep guiding the current low range to the public.

I have told them my current client will not be bidding at auction due to personal preference and wants to buy private treaty. The agents aren't getting multiple pre auction offers anymore. Agents know my offers are fair but vendor won't consider until after the auction.

Some owners are just in denial and dream of adding 15% to any high number that can actually be justified and it will take time for them to come back to earth I guess.

9. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Was this the right decision, do you think, in hindsight?

craigc likes this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

... and then you can go in after a passed in auction with an even lower offer

craigc, BuyersAgent, Beano and 3 others like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The dignified undignified :D

craigc and Lizzie like this.
  12. Nina00

Nina00 Well-Known Member

Yes I do. I was not desperate. I’ve seen how the market can be and I’ve been through and observed the market years ago where things were stagnant, in good areas and bad. Not sure why people don’t think this could happen again.

13. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

Very true. I think the media also has a large part to play with this. In the past week every single day, they are still talking about the rate increase and talking about property prices falling as the top 3 stories.

But I have noticed that properties are not going as quickly as they were about 6 weeks ago so something is definitely happening (and this is before the rate announcement), just not sure how long before we will actually feel the full effects of this recent rate rise.

Catsgo and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  14. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

But your cash value has also fallen by the same amount. So what is the difference?

craigc likes this.
  15. Jim G

Jim G Well-Known Member

IMHO price in established areas of tier 1 cities in developed countries never goes down. What can go down for a phase is rate of growth. When media articles talk about price going down they refer to rate of growth slowing down. So, best time to buy is always ‘now’ if you are looking in well established suburbs.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Prices do go down. Before my mother passed away, their house was appraised around $1.2m. I think that was a bit high, but probably it would have been $1.1m. This was a high end Coorparoo house, value around 2007 from memory.

We were faced with having to sell in late 2012 to deal with a family situation. The market certainly had dropped, but we listed it at around $1m (from memory). We dropped several times, til we were at ~930k. Agent tried to convince us to drop to "offers over 900k".

We took it off the market, not willing to have "overs over 900k" showing on RPData records, rented it while we sorted out some legal issues, and sold it a year later for just short of $1m. We just were caught up having to sell at a bad time.

We also had a bank valuation for a more modest IP for ~600 in maybe 2005 but had a bank valuation in 2007 for 525k.

It does happen.

Last edited: 16th May, 2022
    Jaacksn likes this.
  17. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

this is just not true though mate, plenty of actual real world data showing 'blue chip' property in syd/melb declining 10-20% in the past

Jaacksn and sash like this.
  18. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    Lol, seriously?

Sold 10 Ashburner Street, Manly NSW 2095 on 18 Dec 2021 - 2017444281 | Domain $4.215M
    Sold 10 Ashburner Street, Manly NSW 2095 on 11 May 2022 - 2017721744 | Domain, $3.6m

sash likes this.
  19. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Sydney houses fell 10-15% in 2018. That's a fact.
    But it turned out to be a great opportunity to buy.

Lizzie and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  20. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

I think it's a reasonable claim that blue chip capital city real estate typically goes up. Of course, it's not exclusively true over short time windows, and we have much more volatility in the post 2008 zero interest rates environment.

The proper way to make a claim like this is to do it in conjunction with a time frame. For example, blue chip property always goes up ... on a rolling 5 yearly basis. Or something like that.

craigc likes this.