NSW How is Marayong suburb to live in for young family?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Kanika, 22nd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kanika

Kanika Member

Hi peeps,

Need advice on buying a house in Marayong suburb, steps away from station. I work in North Sydney and my husband in Baulkam hills with normal 9-5 work hours. Our budget is under 730k, we have found this 30 years or so old house near station which is good sized 500 sqm and is in our budget and I like it just because of its proximity to station so I don't have to do a long walk after an hour of train ride and good backyard for children in future but my husband thinks Marayong is not a safe suburb and prefers Quakers hill over Marayong where we are not getting anything close to transport or that good size in our budget plus it's one station further to Marayong by train. If I take metro line again we are not able to find any property near station but I can drive to Tallawong station however the properties we are getting is atleast 10 min drive to metro car park and 15 mins from Marayong house so not a big difference there if eventually one has to drive to get to train station. However we are also planning to start our family soon so we are hesitant to move in any unsafe suburbs and thinking if it's better to buy an apartment instead in Strathfield area in that budget where it is safer. We are aiming to live in whatever we buy for atleast 7-10 years and then sell it. We have also looked at 2 good apartments in same budget less than 10 mins walk to station with schools and child care close by, one is in Strathfield and other one which looks beautiful is in North Strathfield suburbs respectively. We are very confused and torn between buying a house or apartment. I think house will reap better results in future but is Marayong a decent suburb for young family and capital growth? or its worth compromising a bit on convenience to live further from station and look in other surrounding suburbs like quakers hill/kings park or buy an apartment? We were also considering riverstone and rouse hill but one is too far and other gone beyond our budget after metro for decent size house. Please suggest. Thanks!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I think if you plan to start a family, a unit will be good until the newborn starts walking and climbing - then you'll want a house with a yard.

3. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

You can check the crimestats here -Crime Maps | BOCSAR
    But, as far as I know Marayong, it is a safe suburb.
    North Strathfield is closer but I would rate a house in Marayong and surrounds higher than North Strathfield Unit.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  4. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

North strathfield for next 5-6 years as it’s closer to city, good schools, safe suburb and then upgrade either converting your North Strathfield to IP or sell good luck

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well, rather than buying anywhere bc its in your price range, where would you LIKE to live? I'd rather a unit in a location I love than a house in one I don't.

6. RonAir

RonAir Active Member

Marayong seems to have a bit bad reputation but there are a lot of families living there for years together. These days Marayong is not so cheap anymore which makes it more purchased by families. If you are planning to live and u like to live in a house , Marayong is not a bad idea at all. With its proximity to quakers hill and the metro , it has become an easy commute to city. Also it does not require a train line change which makes it more convenient. Even though Marayong does not have any major shopping complex it’s proximity to Stanhope gardens , ponds, rousehill mall makes everything easily accessible .

Strathfield units are very convenient for commute to city . Personally I would prefer house in Marayong especially with new apartments built in Strathfield getting sold for more price than it is worth.

You could also check out Mirvac Avenues upcoming release near Schofields station . Also Akuna vista is having some reasonably priced house and land packages . If you are looking for a house to live they are not bad options either . ( H& L packages may not be profitable or smart idea , but considering the struggle to own a house on Sydney you end up compromising somewhere ! :) , personal choices )

Jana likes this.

It seems that the levelling out of property price rises hasn’t deterred celebrities from investment properties. Nicole has bought her fifth apartment in a complex in Milsons Point in Sydney. This article explains why she may have done that.