QLD How is Gladstone going?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Angel, 22nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jenko

Jenko Well-Known Member

hammer and ellejay like this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow bargain! Great stuff @Jenko

Jenko likes this.
  3. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

5. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Was about Moranbah & FIFO.
    It stated how FIFO has transitioned from being the minority to being the majority and it has created a vacuum in the town in terms of community, property prices, etc. Prices went from $750K, to $180K. And $200/night at the caravan park.

I don't really agree with the premise of the article though unfortunately.

The size at which they build these mines and the amount of people they need at construction, and even to an extent after construction just completely overwhelms these towns, they have no qualifications to have a say on anything in my opinion.
    The problem is also that Construction only go's for a few years its a complete nonsense to try and house them within the town, the only appropriate way to house them during construction in my opinion is in camps & FIFO.

The way I see it these large mines are always going to stretch these small towns services, there might be an arguement about somehow trying to transition the miners to locals (ones that want to I guess), but you need to do it in a way that doesn't just completely push up prices in the town, that would push all the non-miners out anyway.
    So you would really need a new subdivision.

bob shovel likes this.
  6. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Priblem with new estates is that they build them to house increased population
    Then construction stops or worse mines close, people become unemployed and leave town

This leaves you with roughly the same population you had before and a whole heaps of extra houses
    Prices crash as do rents attracting undesirables to the area and trashing the town

Better off just letting the prices and rents go nuts for a couple of years. Less will get burnt and you will have a normal town after the boom phase
    - no residents who bought 600k houses worth 100k
    - no undesirables searching for $100 a week rent or squatting

Of course when the boom comes council cant help themselves and cant wait to cash in

- infrastructure charges
    - more rates

You cant rely on council workers to make these important decisions

7. foxyleemoo

foxyleemoo Member

FYI

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thu, 25th May 2017

Dear David

What's ahead for Gladstone!

The State Government forecasts the Gladstone region population to grow by 51% to 106,000 over the next 20 years. The projected growth rate is 30% faster than the state average. This will require an additional 750 units of housing per year for each of the next twenty years. In 2016, less than 100 new housing unit approvals were issued by Gladstone Regional Council. The current surplus of housing will be absorbed by organic population growth within 6 months.

At present, the Gladstone economy is over-represented in jobs in the manufacturing sector and under-represented in jobs in the healthcare and social assistance sector and the retail sector.

The number of jobs in manufacturing is double the state average. These manufacturing and other primary sector jobs form the platform for the economy and in Gladstone’s case, the number of these primary sector jobs is sufficient for a population more than 30% larger than Gladstone. As a result, we don’t need more major industry jobs for the economy to continue to grow for the next 15 years.

Growth will come from the sectors that are under-represented. The health care sector is the largest and fastest growing sector in the economy, but not in Gladstone. In Gladstone, the sector is the sixth largest sector, short by more than 1300 jobs. On a per capita basis, Gladstone has the smallest number of jobs in the health care sector of any major urban centre in Queensland. A number of key projects are in the planning stages (Gladstone Hospital, Mercy Health and Aged Care, Phillip Street community precinct, Churches of Christ Aged Care etc) and these will form the basis for ongoing growth in the sector. Our growing and ageing population will require an additional 1700 in this sector in the next twenty years.

We are currently short more than 500 jobs in the retail sector which is the second largest sector in the national economy. The Stockland expansion will satisfy the current shortfall, but our growing population will require an additional 950 retail jobs in the next twenty years.

[​IMG]

Major projects planned in the foreseeable future.

$1.6 billion Casper Oil refinery to commence in 6 years.

$80 million Fuel storage (stage 1 of Casper to commence within 12 months)

$950 million Pacificus Tourism project at Hummock Hill Island (30 year project commencing in the short term)

$150 million Stockland upgrade

$100 million Turtle Street resort Curtis Island

Other

State Government biofuels hub including northern oil.

QER Kerogen oil project

Stuart Randle

Ex CEO Gladstone Regional Council

8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Ah if only.. The Casper Oil refinery will never happen, I've posted reasons why elsewhere on the forum... I also think the HH development will be a non-starter.
    Maybe Stockland will spend some cash, but I doubt it will be $150M.. maybe $50M?

The part I really take issue with is:
    Nearly 2,000 dwellings for sale, 760 for rent.. the numbers have improved since last year, but not dramatically. Organic growth is certainly not going to take up this slack in the next 6 months!

bob shovel and HUGH72 like this.
  9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Fire sales and mortgagee sales are still very common in Gladstone. The PPOR hunters are out now.