NSW How important is sunlight in a bedroom?

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Norms, 12th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Norms

Norms Member

Hi everyone,

I'm currently interested in a unit on the 6th floor but have some concerns regarding the bedroom's sunlight exposure. The living room is next to a balcony which are both north facing without being blocked by other buildings. The bedroom is directly behind the balcony with a floor-to-ceiling window connecting both. The problem is that the balcony is covered and very large, more like a small terrace, and sunlight would have to travel through the balcony to reach the bedroom.

Through some reading, my understanding is that this layout may even be beneficial as due to the angle of the sun's movement during different seasons, the large covered area of the balcony will prevent sunlight from reaching inside during summer when the sun has a higher arc, while allowing sunlight in during winter when the sun is moving lower. Family members are concerned about growing mold or bacteria in the room and on the bed and blankets due to little/no sunlight exposure.

Any input appreciated, thank you!

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

That's a bit extreme, there are many bedrooms that don't get direct sunlight but that doesn't mean mold automatically grows there.
    Being North facing is a good thing, have you seen how much light there is in the apartment during the day? (doesn't have to be direct sunlight)

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I sleep in my bedroom, mostly at night when the sun is not shining. For ventillation, I open the window (all seasons). Wash your bedclothes regularly & vacuum/dust frequently.

Esh likes this.
  4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

When youve been woken up by the morning sun shining into your eyes at dawn.....

Esh likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

This can be solved (or minimised) by moving to somewhere which has daylight saving time.

craigc and Archaon like this.
  6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Most teenagers, like vampires, seem to not want any light in their bedrooms waking them up.
    [​IMG]

Esh, Lindsay_W and BuyersAgent like this.
  7. Norms

Norms Member

They're comparing it to our current property which has bedrooms with north facing windows and sunlight throughout the day. It doesn't have aircon (place I'm interested in does) so the beds are drenched in sweat during summer, which is why they value the direct sunlight to be able to dry and possibly disinfect the bed and blankets without much effort during the day.

We attended a 10am open inspection and there was decent light in the living room and part of the balcony, however there was no light reaching the bedroom. I plan to book an inspection around 1-2pm to see how the sun being more centred affects the lighting.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  8. Norms

Norms Member

Or simply with curtains/blinds which is the case with our current property.

9. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

That's why you put them in the bedroom with the morning sun! Counteract the sleep-in-itis.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia