How hot is it today?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by WattleIdo, 13th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

36.3 at my pool pump heater. Wonderful swimming.

MTR and WattleIdo like this.
  2. Rolo

Rolo Well-Known Member

I own 3 pools but unfortunately they are all in Brisbane

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Bringing some old skool philosophy to the druitt ;) very wise and dignified, you will be the mayor's senior advisor in no time :D

Cato’s early Stoic training was as hard and uncompromising as he hoped to become. He walked around Rome in unusual clothing with the goal of getting people to laugh at him. He learned to subsist on a poor man’s rations. He went barefoot and bareheaded in heat and rain. He learned how to endure sickness in perfect silence.

What was the point? Pain and difficulty could build endurance and self-control. Cato was drilling himself to become indifferent to all things outside the magic circle of the conscience. He could be ridiculed, starving, poor, cold, hot, sick—and none of it would matter. As the Stoic philosopher Epictetus taught: “Where is the good? In the will. Where is the evil? In the will.”

datto and WattleIdo like this.
  4. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

My temp gauge is showing plenty

IMG_9969.JPG

WattleIdo likes this.
  5. bob shovel

Why do they have the elvis festival and country music on at the time of year that there's a 90% chance of being significantly hot!?

It cracked 42 in the riff. Still 40 now at glenbrook lagoon waiting for the storm to come :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Currently 27 with a peak of 31 forecast for 1AM....

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I really don't know. So silly, it's always very hot and most people who arrive on the Elvis train are 60 plus in the shade. Would love to see it changed to March but I've got nothing to do with it. There's probably some involved reason. Doesn't seem to stop 'em though.
    Looks like tomorrow will be pleasant.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I was on the roof of the tallest commercial building in Liverpool today. DANG HOT!!!

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. bob shovel

Is that the catho? :p Never been myself but only ever heard good things

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Syd s SW is about the same as Central West, but we had this 2 days ago too....

It is warm enough here to make your blue suede shoes wet with sweat when standing still :p

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think it was hotter yesterday in Brisbane (but have no idea really). We slept with the aircon on last night (rarely need to do that).

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Dropping one after the other at the Gabba

WattleIdo and gman65 like this.
  14. dabbler

They are old enough to be a bit tougher.

Remember when cars had no AC ? for that matter, houses had none either, if you were lucky you had a fan :)

No AC or heaters in the classroom.

No worries riding a bike with no helmet.

Kids walked to school and respected parents and elders.

I think people are getting a bit soft, they send out e-mails and all talk OHS etc when temps get to mid thirties, cry babies, this is not anything new.

If Australia had not had settlers and those with some backbone who came here 200 years ago, the modern generation would never have come, even with everything air conditioned. Think of the people that pushed inland after sailing here in a little boat, all done manually.

I have a real respect for those people, they leave us for dead, and people cry foul about refugees given shelter on islands.

But I will say I am happy not to be in an Elvis suit walking around Parkes right now :eek::p

WattleIdo, Darren A, HUGH72 and 3 others like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I've been on a bit of a road trip across town today. My car only showed 39 outside. Like Dabbler said, we boomers went to school in this weather for two months at least. Have you young kids seen photos of our uniforms? Straight from the bloody Mother Country, as though it snows in December. I'll hunt around for some pics for you. I recall the year I started high school us girls still had to wear stockings and gloves all year round, I think they canned the gloves when I got to year 9.

Here is a google photo of a typical Ashgrove or Oakleigh State School class, the girl's uniform with the shirt and pinafore was worn in 90-100 degree F heat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13th Jan, 2017
    WattleIdo, MTR and ellejay like this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

LOL Angel. I recall that too, the gloves :eek:. All the cool girls wore lightweight denier stockings, but my mother was so frustrated that I laddered mine so quickly that I ended up with thicker ones, that almost looked like black tights. They were almost indestructible. I recall one morning, dad was driving me to school as he worked nearby. I propped my foot on his dashboard, took our my little sewing kit (remember those?) and used the little scissors to cut the chewing gum blob (size of a 20 cent piece) out of my stocking and sew it up with bright red cotton. Dad was horrified.

Putting those stockings on after swimming was almost impossible, and I was very peeved that not all that long after we left the uniform changed and short white socks were allowed. Lucky girls.

WattleIdo and ellejay like this.
  17. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Beers or wickets?

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. dabbler

We had long pants, or if you wore those long shorts, you had to have socks up to knees, and a tie...

Oh yes, the cane, you were hit if you talked back or uniform was sloppy, we were allowed to take the tie off when over 40 though.

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No I was in the CBD - Moore St

20. dabbler

You sound like a right little rebel there Wylie !

And driven to school, well we used to stare at anyone who was driven to school....

ellejay likes this.