How have your parent/s, teachers or friends described your nature?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Gockie, 18th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I was camping a couple of weekends ago and my mum told my auntie that I was always trying to find the shortcut as a kid... I still do that!

My year 3 (or was it 5 and 6?) teacher commented on my interest with money at one stage...

A friend called me quirky.... I dunno but I just see and interpret things differently to many.

How have you been described, growing up?

Last edited: 18th Apr, 2017
    paulF, Annaelsa and MTR like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Hmm...
    Something along the line of, weird, abnormal and smart but lazy :rolleyes:
    At 2 years old (or whatever age where they put a lot of items in front of a toddler and let them pick) I pick ... money

Eric Wu, MTR and Gockie like this.
  3. Gockie

Hahaha... me too. Smart but Lazy... I hardly studied for the HSC, I spent the whole year playing on the SNES but still did well.... 7th in the state in a HSC subject.... Top 1% in the maths comp (something you can't really study for... or maybe you can... but nobody did... anyway the James Ruse kids I used to play tennis with were impressed)... my mum says I pick things up quickly.

In contrast, my youngest sister... she did a lot of study. And did really well in the HSC. Good on her! She ended up doing Pharmacy at uni, something that could be very deadly if you were to stuff up. I think "smart but lazy" wouldn't work as a Pharmacy student.
    But Programming on the other hand... :)

KayTea, Iamnumber5 and EN710 like this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The more clean shortcut the better :rolleyes:

Gockie likes this.
  5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

does "aiyorrr" count?

EN710 likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I very much dislike people like you....top1% in maths:p just joking

7. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

Shy & quiet

paulF likes this.
  8. Gockie

Ok, my quest.. to get you to open up!!
    Lol
    Kidding.

Personalities can change over time. Me Now vs. Me 3 years ago... I'd say I'm much more outspoken now.

Annaelsa likes this.
  9. Annaelsa

Annaelsa Active Member

Ha ha ha, lots of courage to speak to tenant to find out problem in property before putting offer. After I did it, I feel so good

Thinking to join meeting but too shy to go

Gockie likes this.
  10. Gockie

I'll just say... I've gotten a lot of personal growth with property investing and from this forum. I'm airbnbing 2 properties, one in Sydney, one in Brisbane. Lots of problem solving and communication required. I simply jumped into the deep end and swam! Ditto volleyball venue managing. They needed a person to manage a weekly competition... I volunteered. :)

Put yourself out there and come along. The good thing with the meetups is that you can go and listen and learn. Once you get comfortable you can spend the night yabbering away (or not!) :D

Anyway, it's up to you but I'd like you to come. :)

Annaelsa likes this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yep. My parents were called into school because I thought to be cheating on my exams. They ended up with interviews with my teachers and principal as I was thought to be paying no attention in class yet scoring near perfect marks. They surreptiously had me sit some form of testing and didn't tell me the results for about a decade in case I would see it as an indication to stop working.

True story. I went through university degrees, honours and diplomas working my arse off and taking the prizes but never realised that the big money or satisfaction comes from being outside the box, not in it.

My most striking memory of my own character was always befriending the different, bullied or misunderstood kids. Often at the expense of making friends with 'normal' kids. I don't know why this was but I still have that trait yet at the same time cannot handle weakness.

Edit: I would hate if this sounds like a brag. It isn't - but happened. I would not wish the way I think on my children.

Eric Wu, paulF, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  12. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

I got a call in at Uni and nearly got expel for hacking and doing stuff on computer I shouldn't be doing, that was when the Internet only available at University and nowhere else.

I manage to put a computer together at home and using Internet I got broadband at home via dial-up and multiple devices can use the internet for free, though my parents always got ****** off cos no one can call in, line always engage

I have a soft spot for kids that got no friends or outcast and I just talk to them and befriend with them. People think I am weird making and talking to these people, I don't really care

Later in life I use those computer skills for making money on the stock market instead of doing naughty stuff.

And I am the dumbass of all my friends and family, no study, no high grade just love my computer :)

but the one thing that matter now that I am not a dumbass is money, I know the in and out of properties markets, the stock market, commodity market etc..

Last edited: 20th Apr, 2017
    Gockie likes this.
  13. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I was always socially awkward but some how managed to get on well with most people.
    I describe myself as relaxed. Everyone else describes it as being apathetic.
    I have very little empathy and generally fail to see social ques. I rarely adhere to social norms or expectations.

So I guess most people would call me weird but in a nice kind of way.

i never did my TEE ( or what ever it's called nowadays) but if I did I probably would have failed due to getting my days mixed up and missing the exams.

Blacky

14. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

I've been described as the quiet achiever....right from an early age at school....
    Never really worried about trends or what other people were into....just did what I thought was right.
    Some might say following my gut.
    Made mistakes but been right more times than wrong so now the family is saying I am "very lucky"...!!!;)

I find the more work I do making a plan and doing the plan the "luckier" I get.....:D:D:D

orangestreet likes this.
  15. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

A few people have called me 'intimidating' (and I'm not even 5 ft tall, so I think that's pretty impressive).

Gockie likes this.
  16. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

For me, I guess it's always on the line of sensible and class role model... Back in primary school I remember I was always openly praised as the model student of the class by the teacher... Being honest, polite and study hard and do the right thing as you're told. I guess from Asian cultural perspective that's the type of kids every parent would love to have. I feel it's an expectation that as I'm the older brother I need to be the role model for my young brother.

Yet my brother grew up watching me but turned into a very different personality! Good on him for being not so boring though :rolleyes:

Gockie likes this.