How have you changed career?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Ardi, 26th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for tools, services, websites or strategies for assisting with career planning or figuring out what careers may suit someone?

My wife is wanting to get back into work slowly after taking maternity leave but not keen on going back to the same thing. I figure now is a good time for us if she wants a change or to study.

Hopefully some have found a strategy that helped.

Cheers,
    Ardi

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Ardi likes this.
  3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Have you considered her skill set? Some times skills can be transferable across many other industries. So you may only need to do a course or 2, rather than start from scratch

Ardi likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Ardi

What's
    1. her area of expertise
    2. her areas of interest
    I am in the midst of a career jump - but it is really making a casual second job I had for yomnkers into a permanent one...

The Y-man

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Xcuse the long post, but it has a valuable teaching point I feel.

I am a Rocket Scientist by background (but 2 short of the six pack) and after being retrenched 4 times in the same number of years, I worked out either I wasnt much chop, or the industry was fickle.

From there, did cars up for a living for a year, that was fun $ wise very good but got boring.

I then scored a job at the princely sum of 23 k pa, basic coding job for an O&G data management company.

Worked hard and within 1 year was operations manager at twice the previous salary, and opened a new facility in Perth and was on 56 k a year later.

Got a bit sick of Perth and being away from family, and started chasing work at home

Nothing much around for my skill set or so I thought................

Random cold call from a Library recruiter and those skills that I learnt in the O&G role were absolutely transferable, where I found myself doing Biz Management consulting for WBC, Citibank, WA newspapers, FTRA, AFP, Optus. Tabcorp, WA Transport and QLd Education and Training. Its that experience that demonstrated to me, I was possibly capable of more.

By this time I had a wife and a new born child and the Out Monday back sat morning, 5 star hotels, nice booze, and a raised print business card with a title became a little tedious to say the least, and was desperate for a change but had NO idea.

A thin thread of the universe connection ( or in my belief system God Intervening), Im driving my car into the Kent St car park, where WBC HQ is now in Syd, get out of my car with my 5 kg Lap top , and a fella walks up to me and says, your left brake light is out, I have the same issue with my EF falcon as yours does. Got chatting, exchanged cards

3 mths later, this random person rang me ( now Richard is a family member to me) and asked if I was still happy doing what I was doing, and if I was wedded to what I was doing. 4 weeks later the system concepts trainings and ideas, and association that he introduced me to had a very significant impact in my future, but I couldnt see it at the time. I chose suffering with the same 6 to 8 flights a week, and it was only when my son was born, that my Mrs said enough is enough.

That was the seed for ASAP Financial and a few other ventures, some great some oh oh. My biggest challenges started as some of my best ideas :)

My experience is

• I didnt know what I was capable of until I got an accountability partner - a real friend stabs you in the front !
    • Intention is all good, but intention is NOT relevant, my path and actions determine my end point.If my intention is to fly to Sydney, but my actions mean I get on a plane to Perth............
    • I needed to be patient and not force it before I was ready.
    • I now realise that I have had such opportunities placed before me since my late teens, but my programs meant I could not see what was obvious to others.
    • My life's options were hindered by a certain blood Group ...... B- association is important
    • The Word Becomes Flesh - what I say to myself will materialise
    • Be significant. NOT successful. Some people are so poor, all they have is money.
    • Karma exists
    • Be kind, considerate, and compassionate, but dont enable other people's stuff with your well meaning but potentially toxic help.
    • On your way UP make sure you keep as many friends as you can because you may need them on the way down (thanks to Rolf Schaefer),
    • From an old book not of my belief but valuable in any case, When things are too hard to handle, retreat and count your blessings

Many peops are unfulfilled in the work they do, so much so when in our guided discovery process, we ask a simple but powerful q. If you had your income replaced by say a lottery win and indexed to inflation, would you go back to work for free ? 2 % say yes , 10 % say yes, but on my terms, you can work out how the balance feels.

Finding significance in your work is an unstoppable law of the universe.

ta
    rolf

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Apr, 2020
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They didn't want you to graduate with your major or wasn't Maccas a career option? :confused:

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've started about 4 degrees - alas I can't remember if any of them were on the jigcal answers for me. But if you think psychology + IT + geology + architecture = property developer; then I have the perfect mix

spoon, Lizzie, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  8. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

I think there is a bit of a framework to follow with this sort of stuff that can lead you to success..

1) What is your passion?
    2) What are you good at?
    3) Where is there a market?

If you're passionate about something but no good at it... then you'll struggle to make a success of it. Hard to sustain this.

If you're good at something but not passionate about it... then you'll either burn out or lose interest. Pleny of people persist with this.

If you're passionate and good at something but there isn't a market for it.... then you won't get paid (in relative terms). Plenty of people are OK with this too.

If you can combine all three.. find something you're passionate about, that fits your skillset, and there is a big enough market for it.... success will come

Lizzie likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

In a picture....
    https://www.riseconsulting.com.au/inspire-blog/how-ikigai-can-help-you-find-your-purpose B8EA623B-DA3B-453D-99F3-5B0F861A4387.png

Morgs likes this.
  10. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

11. Gockie

A friend went from Dentist to bus driver, I kid you not! He prefers bus driving, he feels it’s much less stressful. He was also doing Dentistry lecturing at uni too, but decided he preferred bus driving.
    Anyway, nice to have options, even if they are worlds apart.

Last edited: 16th May, 2020
    Someguy likes this.
  12. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

I found this book helpful a few years ago:

Do What You Are : Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type by Paul D. Tieger

13. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I followed most of this.... but the blood type?

14. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

Very relatable. I was a regulatory affairs expert in health care accreditation. I decided to be an adjunct professor. Found I hated it. Now I am a kindergarten teacher and I love it. I have a fun international life and actually save more now and live better than in my previous impressive-sounding BS life.
    Just plan well is all I say. I knew in my mid 40s I would be age discriminated against as its pretty normal in corporate in many cultures the old hidden age discrimination thing. So I did a masters....3 masters later I'm not doing any more!
    I'm a study bug and a planner. I always plan far out. Now I'm planning for life 3. Life can be a fun journey if you plan and have good back up plans.

datto likes this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I think maybe public speaking might be the way to go.

All it is is a bit of prep work. Once you start the nerves disappear.

I recall when I was a kid there was a fella who used to walk up and down Queen St Saint Marys with a bible in his hands and he’d be yelling out verses.

I thought he was an idiot (apologies if he is now here on PC....lol).

But now I realise this would be a great way to prep for public speaking.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  16. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

awesome. I can do one of those Eat Pray Love type BS forums for all the women my age too scared to do what I have done and need a guru. Hmmmm $$$$$$

Jess Peletier and datto like this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yep. Start with that. But at the end of the night the gaming tables and booze come out. Yea ha! Packed house lol.

BunnyXiao likes this.
  18. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Parents push him into dentistry? I know a guy that went from a really high end profession (won't name it for fear of revealing details) to working at a local low end retailer due to only being in that initial profession because of family pushing them.

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2020
  19. Gockie

I don't know but he's not Asian :). I do believe he met his wife through that profession and they have 3 amazing kids, so it's not all bad :)

My uncle chose to do Optometry out of school and ended up with honours if I remembered correctly, but after years of his own practice (and I am sure he got bored of it) he went back to uni to study IT and now for about the last 20 years he's been working in IT, while doing 1 day a month as an Optometrist to keep his licence/registration/whatever it's called.