How have shortages affected you? (other than cost increases)

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jaybean, 1st Jul, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I'm doing a huge reno right now and so far I've been quite lucky. I haven't been overly affected to be honest, labour shortages have been the biggest issue but I'm not including that in this discussion - I'm referring to just building supplies, furniture, appliances, gadgets etc.

Mine:
    • Doors delayed by several months. My only real problem so far. Can't move in till I have freaking doors.
    • Some Ikea cabinets I wanted aren't in stock. Not a big deal.
    • Lead time on a new bed frame construction is 8 weeks, I suspect it would have been shorter pre-pandemic.
    • A few insignificant bits and bobs not in stock, but I was always able to find an alternative.
    Considering the scale of my reno (complete gutting of home, including the foundation), I'm pretty shocked at how lucky I've been.

The worst one for me was my Freedom couch, which had a 6+ month lead time...which got delivered in 2 days. I guess someone cancelled their order and I got lucky. Someone must have screwed up, no way I was next in line with a 6+ month wait. Almost everything at Freedom has an almost 6+ month wait...I have no idea how they will survive.

I'd like a new car and the wait times are long, but it's not a priority for me as I'd rather take a few holidays instead. I just had a "no expense spared" holiday in the US...and I'd rather have 2-3 more of those trips than a new car. Awesome experiences or investments > depreciating "assets".

How have you guys fared?

Last edited: 1st Jul, 2022
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I've also been pretty lucky. Most things have been ok. Like you said labour shortages the biggest issue but even that wasn't too bad.

Longest wait is for miele cooktop coming in September, ordered 2.5 months ago.

Tofubiscuit likes this.
  3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

The main issue I have found is wall insulation. In retrofitting insulation in my new project I have had to use 20mm foil board cut to fit between studs - very time consuming. Although I did late luck out on finding 5 bags of R2.7 which will do half the job. Still desperately in need of some R2 75mm thick acoustic wall bats.

Have had a few delays with appliances but am largely hoarding them for later installation to avoid delays/price rises. Most things I contract out, elec, asbestos removal seem to have about 2 week lead times. Windows (upvc double glazed) have a 10 week lead time.

I have held back on the main works (double garage and small extension with bathroom) until things are a bit clearer. Solar system went in in 2 days!

Tofubiscuit likes this.
  4. jaybean

Haha I’m hoarding too. I bought most of my appliances and furniture even though the house isn’t ready yet. Probably spent about 30k within a 7 day window. I grab em while they’re in stock!

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm trying to get my hands on a flashing disco light cat ball (lights up when the cat bats it) ... instore and online sellers have been out of stock for months. I'm on a waiting list.

Tofubiscuit likes this.
  6. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Well for me it is all about the cost of things and the cost of living, I can’t see any other thing at present that is a factor right now. While some things are in shortage, there are other items that are in plentiful supply like oranges which are much cheaper than lettuce.
    What it has done is made me think about what Australia has been doing in the last 40 years, moving production away from domestic businesses and importing stuff. Australia should never have a lettuce shortage, it’s just nonsense:
    Obviously over the years our leaders have been more interested in being given big deposits in their bank accounts in return for emasculating it’s own industries. When will we wake up?

KBHV, Lizzie, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  7. jaybean

Gotta support Aussie, or at least allies. Anything made here shoots right up to the top of my list of preferences.

Then second is made by an allied nation - Japan, Taiwan, US, whatever.

Made in China but owned by an allied nation is third.

And you can probably guess what's dead last on my list. Especially when it comes to technology.

Serveman likes this.