How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 14th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

A sport I do here has been cancelled for the rest of the year for some reason (I´m the guy in the red shirt)
    [​IMG]

charttv and Angel like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I can’t think why it would be cancelled... oh yes, hold on a sec, the top people could hurt others if they fall. Good idea.:cool:

skater and Casteller like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

That's a pretty extreme way to change a light globe....

The Y-man

random, charttv and Casteller like this.
  4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

And then one person coughs the phlegmy one.

Hard to imagine what happens next...

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A lady I knew passed away from Covid in Melbourne.

She was the mother in law of my cousin, a lovely Maltese lady.

She was 96, so had had a good innings.

She was diagnosed just three days ago.

6. The Y-man

Sorry to hear :(

I'm afraid this thing is going to hit close to home for many in the coming months.

The Y-man

geoffw likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is that like "Where's Wally" for the stripe impared?

Gen-Y and datto like this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've started working from around 8.30am in the mornings. This would never have happened voluntarily in the pre-Covid days.

Well, I did have one job where the starts were either 8 or 8.30am but I quit that pretty soon!

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2022
    The Y-man likes this.
  9. The Y-man

Update for our circle of family, friends, colleagues and associates.....

• 3 Deaths original/Alpha (1 in India, 1 in SEA, 1 in French Polynesia)
    • 1 ICU probable Alpha - semi recovered, still on oxygen 8 months later (USA)
    • ~20 Original/Alpha - recovered but with varying degrees of long covid more than 1 year on such as loss of smell/taste, fatigue
    • ~12+ Omicron - all recovered (Australia)
    • ~20 suspected omicron ongoing (USA)

The Y-man

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My brother's wife tested positive last week and it meant isolation for eight of us directly, no work for six of those. We've all had casual contacts with others, but less than four hours in a room, but still had to let them know to keep a watch for symptoms.

No wonder this is ripping through cities so quickly.

11. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

My younger brother caught the omicron - which I suspect it is.
    He recovered in 3 days - worst of it was over. But still in isolation.

I am wondering when I will catch it as I am a gym junkie. :D

12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

My partner has it. Other than profuse sweating for 1.5 days, there's been almost no symptoms. What a weird virus.

(granted, she got her booster shot literally on the same day she got the virus so I'm sure that helped)

13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

My immediate family are on the tail end of Omicron (I am assuming, given the mildness).

We were away in Victoria at a campground with friends. Their daughter had fever/headaches, but tested negative on a RAT. A day or so late their other daughter had headaches and tested positive. That family, and their extended family, went home that day. We decided to cut our holiday short and headed home the next day. We had not been indoors much at all, or in very close proximity with the girls that tested positive. I'd had some headaches, but was that due to camping/hangover? Who knows? ;)

Got back home on the Thursday, still had headaches. I tested negative on a RAT on the Saturday. We had family over that night, but stayed outside. I thought I must has just had a cold, and was even feeling a bit better and rode in to work on the Monday...

My wife started getting a sore throat, and tested positive on a RAT on the Tuesday morning. I took the kids for a PCR test that morning - mine came back positive, all 3 kids were negative. We notified our family, my sister changed to working from home. I told work - there was only 3 people I interacted with fortunately, and one of those had already gone home as his son had also tested positive. My boss had to go around and disinfect wherever I had been :)

We tried to implement social distancing as much as possible, and we wore masks once we got the positive results, but we only had 1 shower in operation, and my wife and I were still doing the cooking, so full separation was not really possible. The kids started getting symptoms pretty quickly, and PCR tests came back positive on the Thursday. Managing the household was way easier once we were all confirmed positive - at the very least we could cuddle our kids again!

As mentioned, everyone was pretty mild, but being sick is still not fun, especially when you are also trying to support your kids. My daughter probably had it the worst - she ran some significant fevers for a few days, including up vomiting through the night. That is pretty typical for her when she gets sick, but it was still not fun. We used HEAPS of analgesics - 5 people on high rotation of paracetamol and ibuprofen will do that. We were definitely at risk of running out, but awesome support from family and friends got us through. Speaking of, the check-ins and care packages from family and friends made a pretty miserable time tolerable. I feel very privileged to have some great friends that go the extra mile to help out, including walking our dog for us - she especially appreciated it!

I am surprised how long I have actually been "sick" for though. Assuming my headaches were actually the start of my covid, it is a good 2 weeks. Sure, its been mild, but that does not mean zero impact. I should add, I got my booster about a month ago, so my protection should have been pretty much at peak.

Work didn't stop - both my wife and I can work from home. My efficiency and productivity definitely took a hit, and I would say is not yet back to full strength.

Iso for my wife and I is ended now, and while we are not coughing or producing mucous at a prodigious rate, we will only go out for essentials for now, and minimise interactions for a few days yet.

willair, Observer, Gockie and 4 others like this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Just a pet peeve of mine ... the "original" strain is not the same as the Alpha variant. The Alpha strain was the first "variant" and wasn't recorded until September 2020.

15. The Y-man

Correct. We know a bunch of people that got it very early on (so obviously before alpha), but then some of them were in the "crossover" period. Genomic testing wasn't a big priority in the countries these people were in due to the sheer load of infections, so we never found out what they had.

The Y-man

16. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

My wife had very similar symptoms recently plus a sore throat and a bit of vomiting for a day or so. RAT test was negative and she feels ok now. Before that my son also had a day of vomiting and a little fever for a day then back to normal. I did not have any symptoms so far. With RAT not being 100% reliable it made me thinking that we all could have had it by now. Not very keen to stand in the queue for hrs for a PCR test.

And we also got to know late last week that entire friends family who we interacted with not that long ago got it.

jaybean likes this.
  17. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

@jaybean How did it get confirmed for your partner? PCR or RAT?

18. jaybean

PCR. Her symptoms were so mild we both were wondering if the results were botched.

I got a PCR the same day and negative. RAT the day after and negative. Don’t know if I trust it, as I’ve now got a runny nose. Very minor symptoms but I’m wondering who gets a runny nose in Summer. So now (day 5), I’ve gone to get a PCR and should have the results back today.

Observer likes this.
  19. The Y-man

Safe to assume you have it.

BIL tested twice -ve on RAT but +ve on PCR.

The Y-man

Observer likes this.
  20. jaybean

Just a follow up to this @Observer - my PCR just came back and I'm positive.

I was "positive" I didn't have it, because all I've really got are the symptoms of the mildest cold you've ever experienced, then divide that by a quarter. I'm talking about...a stuffy nose, a mild cough that gets invoked once every few minutes at most.

Ha. Got my booster just over one week before my partner got it. This is freaking sweet, GO SCIENCE!!!!!!!