How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 14th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Today is Blursday the 47th day of Mayprilune

wylie, Angel, Westminster and 2 others like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I am currently on holidays, and I get to go back to real work on Monday. I spent about an hour last night reading the new rules and regs, I mean timetables, schedules, policies and procedures etc, all on the tiny work-supplied baby iPad. I will be supervising a classroom of 12 year 9 students each day for the next five weeks. They will be students who have to come to school because their parents are still working. I predict it will be awesome! Hubby and I have set up my office at home with a second screen and I have my laptop software-ready for WFH, but the teachers and Aides will have to attend in person here in Qld. We were advised by EQ two days ago.

This is how i do weekends and holidays.

Attached Files:

wylie and Gockie like this.
  3. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Missed birth of my second daughter. 17 March 2020. Had a chest tickle and wasn't feeling 100%. Too risky to be a part of the birth.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

:(

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We'll miss the birth of the first grandchild - not that we expect to be in the room but might be many months before we can actually visit for a cuddle (they are in SA)

6. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

While my practice time has increased dramatically, the increase in my ability hasn't to the same extent.

Miking up the J-45 through a Shure 57 to an AER 60 via a Boss RC-30 proves it.

Definite improvement but hard work!

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Not one single kid has sneezed, coughed or flicked snot on me this week. I had a desk all to myself instead of a chair squeezed around the students' desks. I even spent the week in air conditioned rooms with carpet instead of places with concrete floors and no air, and zero sawdust and iron filings in my nose and hair. Two days with year 7s and two days doing Office Admin tasks specific to the Learning from Home situation (sorry, that is not a sentence). This photo was published on the school's FB page on Monday. Other positives are the five minute commute each way and getting all my paperwork done by 3pm instead of 3:30 - 4:00.

Attached Files:

Westminster and Gockie like this.
  8. Gockie

Still waiting for a parcel... :( Screenshot_20200424-120339_Samsung Internet.jpg

9. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Very little change to my regular routine. Have been able to continue fishing which has been a great way to get outdoors and have managed a swim most days.
    Have missed the interaction with my grandsons though, especially over these school holidays.
    Most locals I have spoken with have enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere that has come from not having the town bombarded with holiday makers. Obviously, local business owners would have a different point of view on that.
    Was intending to head back to Karumba in June for a few months, however that may have to be put on the back burner until interstate border restrictions are relaxed.
    Also missing have a meal at my local Thai restaurant. Great food and company.

Lizzie likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My niece's wedding was downsized, with the reception pushed back until when (?). The day before the wedding itself was to go ahead with just bride, groom, celebrant, bride's father and groom's father, she had a high temp, and being a health worker, took herself off to have a Covid test. She had to stay in isolation for three days (long weekend) to get the result, which was negative for Covid.

Meanwhile, her brother flew home from his teaching job in Tokyo to surprise her at the wedding that never happened. And he's now stuck here. He has an apartment he's paying for in Tokyo, a job waiting for him, but schools are closed anyway. I feel sorry for him.

These little stories must be repeated millions of times all over the world, as they impact so many families. Could be so much worse of course; nobody has had their health impacted directly in our family but it is frustrating.

11. Gockie

:(
    Did you hear about a couple who have had to be quarantined 3 times because they were on a cruise shop, then came to Aus, then their domestic flight in Aus had a Covid/suspected case sitting very close to them on the plane?
    That really would be no fun.

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

As I anticipated my next appointment for a dental check up has been deferred to some future date.

13. Gockie

Thinking there are loads of people looking for tenants right now. I know of several people seeking either house mates or tenants, and I'm seeking a tenant myself.

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I guess a lot of Airbnb places are switching to normal rentals, increasing the supply. Those places would be furnished, which might also create problems for the typical renter with their own furniture.

TAJ likes this.
  15. Gockie

Yep. I could bump furniture out, but that's just a pain. Then the furniture would have to be stored or sold. And it might all need to be bumped back in later. So, it's hard to figure out what to do.

I know a guy the other week was leaving all the contents of his near city property out on the street as he needed to empty it.
    It was all nearly new, and I suspect it might have been a decision to either stop short term letting (no guests) or had to stop letting to overseas students at the nearby university (returned home).

Last edited: 30th Apr, 2020
    gman65 and geoffw like this.
  16. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Wish I lived in an Airbnb location...sounds like bargains..bargains...bargains!

17. Gockie

Tenants have so much choice, it's not funny

gman65 likes this.
  18. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I had similar problems at work about a year ago . My work place was slightly asymmetrical . New desk from boss and it settled .

About a week into working at home and I was getting a recurrence . This time my desk is slightly too high . Raised chair and put feet on a low stool ( actually an exercise " step up " ) and no the pain has settled .

You want your eye level at around the level of the top of you screen . You need your forearms resting on a support and you need your screen at an appropriate distance so your not straining your eyes .

You also need to be taking reasonably frequent brief breaks to stretch back , turn your neck to the side ( rotating you chin to either side and then flexing your neck to either side ) . Gentle stretching to maintain a comfortable range of movement , rather than reefing the crap out of it . Move your shoulders through range of movement and also rotate your trunk from side to side .

Cliff

wylie and gman65 like this.
  19. Gockie

I’m thinking I had tight traps due to the setup, desk too high, shrugging shoulders all the time. Some nights my neck was too painful to sleep. Anyway, at Easter, I got that Ninja line kit and set it up for the back yard. Soon after, getting killer neck and shoulder pain.
    It’s progressed to my right arm. Tried a lower desk, raising monitors, still pain. Believe it might be a brachial plexus nerve pull. Anytime I’ve got my arm hanging, even just walking around in the house, there’s a painful tingling sensation in my upper arm and in my hand (mostly thumb). For anybody wondering, it’s basically sciatica for the arm instead of a leg.

Working from sofa helps, no pain. So that’s where I’ve been working now.

so... if anybody is going to be playing on a ninja line or doing any sort of exercise, please warm up and loosen your body first!

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I am having a full blown meltdown tonight and I am blaming the lockdowns.

I have a very special birthday in less than two weeks time and this is totally affecting my party plans. As a Public Servant I will need to take tomorrow off work for a mental health and well being day.

SatayKing likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia