How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 14th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Ah good to see another vegetarian here

2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

On Emirates Qantas ticket. Be very surprised if it goes ahead

ART likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Happy Birthday @Marg4000 - my MIL will turn 91 in about three weeks. She says "oh, don't make a fuss of me..." and then celebrates with various groups (church, exercise ladies) for a week. She stretches it out and really enjoys the social aspect of being the centre of attention (and good on her). But this year it might be a phone call from us.

She is self-isolating but I'm not sure just how strict she is really being.

I've offered to drop her groceries or organise home delivery, but she has neighbours dropping her eggs, bread and milk, which is lovely of them, but it also means there is some contact and that means we do take a risk if we see her.

Marg4000 and Gockie like this.
  4. Heinz57

Thank you and Happy Birthday. I’m glad I was here for my parents but really missing my other half

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Junior is doing HSC this year and majorly stressing that HSC exams haven't been cancelled... despite my reassurances that everyone in year 12 is in the same boat, that the schools and government will be working on a solution behind the scenes but they don't want to make a premature announcement, that she is doing well as doesn't have to share a computer/ has unlimited internet/ blitzing her assessments and that unis are aware the entire 2021 intake will be affected.

... but falls on closed ears

Have contacted the school and hopefully the year teachers can bring this up with the kids during their daily check-in, where mum is not able to cut thru

Angel and Marg4000 like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Parental deafness is more contagious than COVID-19

I really feel for these kids though. It's a tough year and now they are cut off from their mates, their physical releases (like sport not that thing they can still do in the shower!) and their teachers.

My best guess is that Semester I exams won't happen but mocks and ATAR will as we will hopefully be in the recovery stage by then. If they can organise smaller exam locations like multiple classrooms not a gymnasium full of kids they might go with that.

I suspect they will either give a weighting to scores to lift them up to normal entrance marks - like give a 10% weighting or lower uni course entrance cut offs.

DS20 is at uni. They are yet to announce how they will handle Semester 1 exams or any physical tests/workshops etc. He's just trying to take it day by day.

AlphabetSoup and Lizzie like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I agree ... the institutions will be all over it and atar will lift, entry will dropped and/or in class assessments will have greater weight.

They are really feeling the "not" hanging with their friends as Skype and Snapchat just don't cut it .... and, even tho we have a great relationship, it's just not the same to hang with mum

Not helped that we are mid house move, so unsettling there too

Angel and Westminster like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Puppy dog cuddles do help ... mum cuddles not so much

Sackie likes this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying having my daughter home every day (Receptionist/Ins Claims). She's trying to keep to a work routine and stacks/unstacks the dishwasher twice a day.

I didn't really know how to handle boyfriends and girlfriends for 20 and 17 yr old but decided didn't need the germ mixing with FIFO and school so we've all been iscolating.

10. ART

ART Member

I've pretty much decided to bite the bullet and come back with Qatar while they are still flying. Just need to organise selling my car and sorting out the bond with current landlady and then I'll be braving the trek from Devon to Heathrow.

Was planning on sticking it out but got antsy with the rumours that flights might shut down altogether until past June. Don't want to end up on the front page of the news as one of those poor marooned souls camped out at the embassy begging for assistance so figured I should just get the whole thing over and done with before things get even more hysterical.

Will be interesting being locked up by the government for two weeks on arrival. Have heard stories ranging from 'wartime prison' to 'free five star hotel experience' so guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and wait and see.

Good luck and hope you are staying sane and safe in these crazy times!

The Y-man likes this.
  11. Heinz57

Good luck and please send updates from flight and Quarantine. There is a promo code for Qatar I think its TRAVELHOME

ART likes this.
  12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Heinz57 and @ART please be extra careful on that flight. There have been quite a few flights by Qatar from Doha that have had the virus on them. It's a central hub and close to Iran so is always a riskier route but if you want to get home you don't have many choices.

Best of luck.

ART and Heinz57 like this.
  13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Can only extend my best wishes and hope things go OK for you.

From one isolation situation and flying around the world to another or maybe two depending on where you disembark and where you reside. Unusual situations is now normal.

ART and Heinz57 like this.
  14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

My apologies if I gave that impression but I'm not vegetarian. I often change my diet around.

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Warning to all.

I sprained by ankle and had surgery a month ago. I have put on about 2 and a half kilos since the previous time I weighed myself. :(
    It's like i'm on a cruise ship. But no cruising, just wfh, too close to food and not getting enough exercise.
    So be careful of just eating too much while at home folks.

gman65 likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No chance of that - as of next week I'll have to walk my "farm" dogs for a minimum of two hours a day to keep them sane :eek:

Gockie likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

upload_2020-4-2_17-11-4.png

The Y-man

Gockie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You look like one of those people who could easily afford to put on 5kg..

Butterfly88 likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Thanks. But it's dangerous!

20. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Police chased everyone who was sitting on park benches this morning and told them to move ... wont be able to do full length of my walk as I need to sit occasionally ... :(