How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 14th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Exactly! Good to see not everyone is all doom and gloom the world is ending.

2. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

They pulled every pre-approval from their system on the one day. Said they didnt want their funding tied up in preapprovals.
    Told me i couldn't reapply once i found a property as they are no longer taking commission income in servicing

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Ouch! That's rough! Sorry to hear this.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

My wife takes a drug for osteoporosis.

She went to get her prescription filled, but it's not available.

This drug was touted by a high up politician as being a possible cure for coronavirus, so there's a huge demand for it now.

If nothing untoward happens, she'll be ok. But her bones will be very brittle, and any accident could be dangerous for her.

Edit:
    Thus drug isn't protection against bone brittleness, it's to alleviate symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. It reduces joint pain.

Malaria and arthritis drugs touted as potential coronavirus 'cure', triggering pharmacy rush - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Last edited: 23rd Mar, 2020
    Bunbury, ellejay, TMNT and 1 other person like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Very sad :(. Wishing her all the best.

The Y-man

Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Relatives are here from Germany. Flights home won't happen. They are booked for 29th but today news is flights are stopping in two days.

They have spent their whole time here (most of it) trying to find a way to get home, with two little children and a new job waiting in Germany. That new job could possibly be done from here online but so much is unknown at this stage.

They are paying rent in Germany, and possibly might be stuck here for several months. This is affecting so many people in so many ways.

7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Oh no @geoffw. I do hope nothing untoward happens to your wife. Has the pharmacist put in a back order on her behalf? I understand they can do that but I could be wrong.

8. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Is it Emirates? I am stranded in UK same issue as your family. Despite what it says on Emirates / Qantas websites I believe that repatriation flights are happening between London and either Sydney or Perth. May need to register with consulate

wylie likes this.
  9. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I was planning to renovate our house this year, budget 150K .....

Now this is all off the table obviously. Ended up buying a office table to setup home office instead.

ellejay and Pier1 like this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Thank you. Yes, it's on back order.

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Heinz57 - I've passed that on to them. I know they did try to get flights from Perth to the UK but no luck there. Perhaps if they register with the consulate, they might be lucky enough, especially with babies involved.

They had been trying for days to get through, finally got through after 5 hours to Qantas, were told they were flying Emirates and Qantas could not help them. They politely said they'd booked through Qantas and were hung up on.

A friend's fiancee is flying home from Myanmar right now and was due to transit through Singapore but through flights are grounded from midnight tonight, so he managed to sort out an earlier connecting flight for her.

My relatives are concerned they could be grounded in Dubai with no accommodation, no money... which would be so much worse than being stuck here for several months.

12. Heinz57

That’s interesting - I got through to Emirates and was told I had to talk to Qantas!!! Might try Emirates again as at least you can get through.

SatayKing likes this.
  13. SatayKing

It'll give you some time to brush up on your skills at euchre and hopefully get some of your money back. :)

14. Heinz57

Yes the luck is turning I think!

Today as the youngest household member I am volunteered to brave the supermarket to fight with anxious poms over milk and frozen peas.

15. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

Both my daughters have lost their jobs, my full time retail working Older daughter and my younger Uni attending well, attended Uni for about 6 weeks till it shut down last week. She’s been at her cafe job since she was 14. We are extremely fortunate that my job is completely secure and I count ourselves as very lucky.

Marg4000 likes this.
  16. SatayKing

Now that most States have closed their borders and require people who enter to self-isolate for 14 day but freight is exempted will we see people smuggling.

Mum I want to get out back home to Melbourne!
    Hold on, dear, your father is ringing TNT in Perth.

Marg4000 and Biggbird like this.
  17. SatayKing

Sorry to hear that @moridog. It is probably common right now but being one of many doesn't make it easy for individuals or families impacted.

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

They might be better staying here and riding it out. At least they have secure financial , emotional and accommodation support .... they could probably apply for government rental relief in Germany as it seems to be pretty proactive

wylie likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My newly p-plated teen, the youngest, went on the way home from school ... felt very odd after playing mum to 4 kids over 22 years.

My solicitor is nursing me thru our house sale, after purchasers threatened to pull out, with the advice that he's had to tell two purchasing clients that it was "tough bikkies, they have to settle or lose deposit".

Makes me feel mean but we have to either settle, or get deposit, to meet our own commitments made on the expectation of the sale going thru

p.s. apparently the supermarket was pretty quite at lunchtime ... but the prices for fresh fruit and vege was pure gouging

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Has affected my best friend significantly.

His wife died of cancer last year after they were married for a year. Then less than a year later ( yesterday) his mother died or a cardiac arrest (not covid related). His brothers were not allowed to come to their mothers funeral, they live in America. Only 9 people were allowed to attend the funeral. He was devastated.

I thank my creator every day for the blessings I have and I'm grateful for everything I have and take nothing in life for granted.

Francesco, ellejay, Marg4000 and 6 others like this.