How has COVID-19 affected you personally?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Simon Hampel, 14th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

How have you been personally affected by COVID-19?

Have you been forced to self isolate?
    Has your company told you to work from home?
    Have your kids been sent home from school?
    Have events you were involved with or attending been cancelled?
    Have you cancelled or altered planned trips?

Tell us your stories.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

My wife is a Clinical Nurse Consultant with the NSW Health Counter Disaster Unit in Northern Sydney.

Mostly the job of the CDU is to help with planning and coordinating the health responses to disasters - they spent a lot of time writing their pandemic plan in recent years and she was recently involved in coordinating medical resources they deployed to help areas affected by the bushfires.

My wife is also "clinical", so she has also been out helping to take swabs of potentially infected patients :eek:

So while I already work from home full time and there's no real change for me - my wife is at times required to be on the front lines of managing the spread of the infections along with other medical staff. Naturally, their entire team is extremely busy right now - and they're still managing staff who have been deployed to bushfire affected regions!

Our parents are all in the target zone for much higher risk of a serious infection, so we are advising them to not come and visit us right now (as much as we could use their help) - we don't want to be putting them at risk.

bob shovel likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Had booked a cruise around Italy and Europe. Needless to say that's toast. And I soo need a holiday.

4. Simon Hampel

We haven't technically cancelled our planned 4 week trip to Colombia in July - only because we hadn't yet booked anything. Instead we have decided to postpone it.

Our concerns are specifically about the ability to source travel insurance with adequate coverage.

Also, there is a strong possibility that my wife won't be allowed to take leave - there is already talk about all leave for health staff being cancelled.

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I never thought about insurance, thats a big one

6. Simon Hampel

Getting sick or injured in a foreign country can be extremely expensive - even more so if you need medical evacuation.

lost nomad and MTR like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Nice conversation opener at the PC Meetup :p

Leeroy93 and hammer like this.
  8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Trying to cancel a Bali trip but crummy Jetstar won't give us a credit.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

As many of you know, Hubby does musical theatre. He's currently in rehearsals for a show in late May. It probably won't go ahead.

10. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

35 year old son is home indefinitely with no work (or income) for cruise ship guest entertainers whilst this crisis is on. Last year he only spent about 80 nights at home as he was travelling around the world with gig after gig. Needless to say, we have no butlers, maids or bar staff to serve him at home.

See Change likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've had lil Ms No Mates' Euro school trip (Italy & France) finally put off this week (to be rescheduled) another school trip later this year to PNG has been put on hold (a few weeks ago already).

Sounds like I'll have to divert the refunds to an even better trip Banff (instead of schoolies).

12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And I've heard that Colombia is now requiring adequate insurance to cover hospitalisation before allowing entry to the country - probably not the only country.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Friends of ours were to fly from Brisbane to Perth for the week (next week). His business (he is part owner/director) has advised if he goes, he will need to self-isolate for 14 days before going back into the city building.

They've decided to cancel so we will have dinner with them instead (great trade off). :D

It seems they could fly to Mackay and not self-isolate afterwards, but not Perth. My friend thinks it might be because Perth is a pathway to Bali and Indonesia (but is not sure that is the reason).

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2020
  14. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I had a 10 day trip to China planned next Tuesday but have to postpone until October. They won't give a refund. Also had a 7 day trip to Bali booked in June but Jetstar changed my flight times so I cancelled and got a refund for flights and hotel. Was planning to go Grand prix on Sunday but that's cancelled.

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Ironically China is safer than Australia (imo) now.

16. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

I work for a large office and as soon as one person gets it we'll all be working from home.

Spent last week doing prep but still have a bit more to go. Feels a bit like a race against time.

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Anybody who works for Covermore IT from the main office has been told to work from home till further notice. I was working from home for the last 2 weeks anyway due to ankle operation. So far, that's working well.

I'm unsure if Unicon (unicycle convention) will be on in France late July. The organisers are still going ahead with planning, but I'm thinking it might be cancelled or postponed.

But, one that does affect me in the hip pocket.
    Airbnb enquiries are way down across the board, and many people are canceling their travel plans.

I'm planning to change mine to a more regular type rental. The yield won't be as high. Been Airbnbing for over 5 years, it's been great, but this virus looks like it's going to stop this.

Been buying lots of shares, very happy about that. Yes, my own personal super went down massively, but I'm taking it as an opportunity to buy.

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I feel this way too. We do a bit with the U3A, and as they're all retirees, I'm expecting all the classes to be cancelled in the next few weeks. Just bought a box of facemasks off eBay. That's something I'd never have thought I'd ever do.

hammer likes this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I disenfected my commodore. All passengers to have their temperature taken.

I provide a therometer but, for hygiene, they can't put it in their mouth, ear or that other place.

20. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Limiting drivers to 15 minutes?

datto likes this.