How has COVID-19 affected you as a landlord?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Simon Hampel, 17th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

We've already started to hear a few things in some of the other threads - but I thought it would be useful to discuss some of the issues we might be facing as a landlord in the light of the COVID-19 Caronavirus.

People who are self-isolating are going to have difficulty seeking a property to rent if they need to move.

People who aren't able to work because their place of work has shut down or shed staff are going to have difficulty paying their rent.

How is everyone handling these situations? What other issues have people experienced?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Having been an Airbnb host since 2014, I am now stopping the Airbnb hosting. Nobody is travelling.

Danny370z likes this.
  3. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

Yes, one of my tenant is a student and her University has a confirmed case. She is not going to renew the lease and going back to China.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I haven't been affected yet, though its still early days. This is where buffers will come into place too. Hope people have decent buffers.

MWI, Hetty, kierank and 2 others like this.
  5. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

As Gockie says, we haven't had a booking at our airbnb since the news broke, our big Easter booking has cancelled as they have had to cancel their wedding. We were intending to put the house on the rental market and will do so a little earlier than intended now.

6. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Most of my tenants are centrelink recipients, so their income should stay the same, no matter what. My huge, main concern is that we are about to settle on a new PPOR. The goal was to put tenants in for 12 months, while we reno here & sell it. We've also given notice to tenants of another home to reno & sell. So, the PPOR would normally command $790pw rent. Hoping we can find someone with an income that will be stable, as we absolutely need that. The other concern is that the two homes we were going to sell.

Tattler likes this.
  8. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Get in quick, I personally predict that people will be renewing with shorter leases (if they're unhappy) to avoid moving while all this is happening..

Rugrat likes this.
  9. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Nothing yet - but I will find out from my landlord insurance.
    See if the covers actually covers rent arrears in a pandemic situation.

I would ask everyone to check their own policy. Don't assume it is all OKAY!

10. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Yes good strategy to have in place. Smart move there Sackie.

11. chrish

chrish Well-Known Member

As a strata committee, we have suspended interest being incurred on late levy payments. We will review at a later date.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Am selling too. I reckon I'm a month too late :(

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. They'll prob find any reason why it's not covered.

14. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

Most chinese want to go back to china. Look at the flights almost 5k one way now. This is because they are actually handling it now. And they are worried about how bad we are doing...

15. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Does that mean you will just stick you head in the sand like an emu? Hope for the best?
    If I am not cover by the landlord insurance. Every landlord out there will be out of pocket when nobody is working and can't pay their rent.

16. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I expect my Spanish holiday house will be hard to let this year (normally do 6 weeks in summer). Some Russians have already booked a few weeks though before this crisis, maybe they´ll cancel now. Management company has changed policy to allow tenants to pay last minute or cancel without penalty. Another property in Barcelona lease expires June, French tenant leaving, probably will be hard to let immediately afterwards. Along with the plunging $AUD that I use to fund myself here, it´s going to be a sparse year financially.

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm also thinking it's highly probable that I won't be going to France in late July this year. So I would cancel that Airbnb booking (of something like 2 weeks). So that owner will be most likely out of pocket.
    I had salary sacrificed for 4 week's extra leave, and it's quite possible I will get that paid out as salary rather than have it taken as leave. Sad :(

18. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

I was just forced to cancel my two week Airbnb stay with a full refund. Feel sorry for the owners as it must be getting tough.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am concerned whether tenants can continue paying rents
    Only saving grace for me is fall of the AUD.

Hetty and Ross Forrester like this.
  20. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I had my first tenant ask for a rent reduction today. Except he hasn't even lost his job! My response is that until the owners don't have to pay their mortgage & bills, please continue to pay your rent. I have students trapped in Wuhan in another property for months and thankfully they are keeping their rent up to date, after some discussions.

Scaphella likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia