How five months in the wilds of New Zealand..

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willair, 13th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sackie, Gladys, Anne11 and 5 others like this.
  2. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Yep... sometimes Ctrl-Alt-Del is the only option.

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ellejay, Lindsay_W and Sackie like this.
  4. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Forty years a swagman

Met this guy a few times as he passed through our area over the last 15 odd years.

He's a really nice guy and seems to be just fine with his lot.

Never forget one day we pulled up and had an sky full of icy cold beers and offered him one.
    He sank that sucker down bettter than Bob Hawke !
    Offered another one and he said no thanks and continued on his way!

Amazing life.

He did tell us that he has been bashed by thugs in the night a couple times years ago that found him along side the road. So he now sleeps a way off the road edge. Absolute scum in this world to do such a thing. Just terrible.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think a lot of people would love to do something like this, I've thought about it many times. Go walkabout, leave life and society behind for a while. I've been on holidays to some fairly remote places and I've met many people who've done just this (the tourist industry in Alaska, South East Asia and the Pacific Islands is full of middle aged singles with very few ties to anything).

Most people can't do this, they have other's they're responsible too. A partner, kids, parents. For many of us, there's things you just can't leave behind for a while on a whim.

6. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Id be totally happy on a deserted tropical island with just a soccer ball, er umm sorry..... my wife.
    But she'd be totally miserable.

So there ya go.

7. random

random Well-Known Member

Ahhh, you can do it easy, anyone can , well if you don't have kids that's the biggest thing. But even with there are still ways , people do it.
    We did it , traveled and lived all over Oz 13 years, we didn't wanna be like most people , wishing they did or looking back regrets.
    Also back packed around oz 18mths when l was 19.
    But funny , now 50s , have thought about it plenty of times lately again too seems my marriage failed after 19yrs anyway. All this trying to get ahead again and build up something again , l often wonder wtf l'm even doing. Relentless bills, crazy bs phone calls about garbage , letters from every so called authority out there these days in your box every 5mins , once your in the system these days they just don't leave you alone with all their bs.last election l got about 50 text messages from pollies , how they even got my damn number. The news every night, brother

Thought of walking away many times , packing the car again and to hell with it all 100 times in the last 7yrs , hate the bs in life now , even in little old oz , it's becoming ridiculous.
    l know , l'm depressing , sorry about that.

Anyway , so what happened after 5mths , chances are she's just back in the burbs and living like this again now.

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Read the last few para at the end of the article...

9. random

random Well-Known Member

Ok must admit , only read the headline in the thread, heard it all before. l'll take a look.
    ok took a look , no surprises l was gonna say in the other post and let me guess , she's written a book.Oh well , at least she didn't go back to the same ol.
    Looks like she had the book planned right through no surprises again but who would've taken all the fancy pics other wise.

Last edited: 14th Sep, 2019
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Having done some great walks myself, I have some great photos too but never intended to write a book.

ellejay and paulF like this.
  11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You're simply being judgmental.
    Laura is a personal friend of mine and no, her book wasn't planned before the trip and she took the photos herself as she lost her Hiking buddy on that trip from day one. She's been doing this for while too
    https://www.soultrekkers.com.au/

willair and Joynz like this.
  12. willair

Iv'e been for a few walks on the south island nz from Queenstown into the lakes mountain's then back into Queenstown..
    After ready about this Lady and the walk through the south island there does not seem the hint of vulnerability
    or fear as all the vices are left behind within the first 15 minutes of walking in the way she writes..
    Booked the tickets about a hour ago ,early next years fly direct into queenstown for a six week walk ..Just walk out of queenstown airport ,5 minutes walk to the supermarket ,then 5 minutes over the bridge and the walking tracks starts ,then go on the missing person list..

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Which walks are you doing for 6 weeks?

NZ has so many excellent walks - I’m working my way through the Great Walks staying in DOCs huts.

ellejay likes this.
  14. willair

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

16. willair

Yes for the last ten years around Queenstown ,but depending what time of year it's not that bad and there is no snakes ,that alone takes a lot of stress out of walking..The rest is just pace yourself ..
    For sandflies ect,just a mix Vicks VapoRub and thursday plantations nth nsw tea tree oil works well for me..imho..

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Great - I’m doing the Kepler and Rakiura Tracks early 2020. But might put the Dusky on the list for the future...

I’ve bought a second hand Aarn Pack that I’ll use this time.

ellejay and willair like this.
  18. random

random Well-Known Member

Ahh, there's always a book.
    But anyway not really knocking her , good for her and to everyone anyone that lives does anything different.
    ps , she must've used a tripod and timer then l suppose, posed for the pics.

19. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Hey Willair, have you tried wearing gators to help with the snakes? Im a land surveyor and do a fair bit of rural work, i find the gators are the only thing that keeps me sane when walking through crops and long grass where i cant see the ground!

ellejay likes this.
  20. Gargamel

Gargamel Active Member

I left a long term relationship, sold all my stuff and moved to Europe, does that count? Haha

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.