How far is brisbane from a boom

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by JDP1, 26th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

When will brisbane show double digit growth

Poll closed 23rd Jan, 2020.
  1. within 1 year

20 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. after a few years

49 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. sometime in 5-7 years

33 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. 10 years plus

13 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. not this cycle- whenever the next cycle comes around

17 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. never- once a country town, always a country town

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

2. icic

icic Well-Known Member

oh please do sell!
    If it starts to boom after that, we can all collectively reimburse you for your lost in CG :D

MTR likes this.
  3. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Some history for you.

"Inevitable boom" is a meme started by @JDP1 . @melbournian, as usual, is having a dig.

melbournian and Patrick Bateman like this.
  4. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Although this table doesn't show growth, it does show the value proposition for Sydney and Melbourne buyers. This reminds me of the early 00's when Sydney slowed down and Brisbane boomed so I'm optimistic.

Patrick Bateman and icic like this.
  5. Patrick Bateman

Exactly it's not a great theory to point to past growth as a predictor of future performance. If anything cities that have had strong growth are more likely to have reached their peak and start declining.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

O.4% growth in 12 months? That stat must be a typo.

If that is correct, and so many suburbs increased by 5% to 10%, then which ones decreased, and by how much, to create an average of "not much at all"?

Codie and Patrick Bateman like this.
  7. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I do not worry about any stats - they are all over the place many times, only what valuers and lenders will do & what other similar places in same area actually sell for, and actual sale price likely to get.

If you believe some of the stories or stats, you would go buy in Syd, which of course is madness for the most part at this time.

Angel and Patrick Bateman like this.
  8. Patrick Bateman

HUGH72 likes this.
  9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

hahaha don't take it personally - inevitable disappointment for some.
    I bet you I could buy a property now in Melbourne and still will make far more than anything you buy now in Brisbane lol

10. Al1979

Al1979 Well-Known Member

For $500k with 6% yield?

11. melbournian

(I think the graphs were for CG).

12. Patrick Bateman

Cool story bro , I'd take that bet however it sounds like it would be pretty difficult to adjudicate

13. melbournian

right on bro - agree that it is difficult (being I could buy 800K and make 300K while you could buy 400K and make 80K) and also not sure what the wager is (likely a 5 figure bet?) have to make it worth something for full disclosure. so yeah bro - best just not get upset at the stats and not get too personal - you could have made 100% while the stats says 0.4% . I saw Africans while on holiday in Iceland - guess they're there for free coffee too.

14. Patrick Bateman

I am much more comfortable buying in Brisbane than Sydney or Melbourne who have already hit their peak or close to it. I bought an ip for $800K not $400k last year , inner city bne generally performs better than outskirts and houses perform better than units. I have no idea what you're on about with Iceland and Africans ...something to do with the apex gang you have down there ?

15. melbournian

Maybe you are just a rook on this forum - but many here have been calling booms in Brisbane since 2015. and to see 0.4% over the year (basic year 10 maths to calculate growth overall). it is what it is. as for what you have bought all the best bro. interesting I bought 800K too last year and dec couple houses away sold 900K and one just sold with permits for 1.2mil a week ago.

upload_2018-2-7_15-25-10.png

means I could see a bunch of Asians in Colombia too but that doesn't mean they're buying up the town.

16. Al1979

Al1979 Well-Known Member

(Investing is all about one graph)

Did I do it right?

17. Patrick Bateman

I am pretty new here. I don't think brisbane will boom this year. I will be stoked if it goes up 30% in the next 5 years. I do honestly believe it will outperform Melb and Sydney over the next 5 years . And trust me the Asians at the auctions I am talking about aren't there for the coffee ...

18. melbournian

fair enough if that is your opinion - though I think it would not outperform in 5 years. Is like saying. is like saying the prices of phoenix or dallas would outperform new York or LA

is not about location is about product type and buyers which can change demographics to be honest (which can translate to higher prices). Look - Asians are everywhere - the 21 year old Vietnamese barista near my coffee shop also bought something in h&L in Werribee.
    but the ones with the real money the 富二代 to bring Brisbane price bracket to the next level (majority will choose Sydney first followed by Melbourne). no doubt Brisbane will grow as will any place - but what you were saying about outperforming or booming are what ppl were saying 3+ years ago.

19. melbournian

nah mate - head to logan or one of those places - i guarantee u will make heaps of money there. high yield and can keep churning by buying more IPs from equity.

20. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

富二代
    [One way to translate this word succinctly would be to avoid a direct translation. Instead, one could translate it as "spoiled heir".

This captures the negative connotation of the Chinese. It tells English speakers that the person is an heir, meaning they did nothing to earn their fortune. "Spoiled" adds the meaning that said person does not appreciate the work that went into earning the wealth that they enjoy. This phrase will be better understood by English speakers.

Because of China's historical situation, most heirs are 2nd-generation heirs, but this will change soon. "Spoiled heirs" can refer to the 2nd generation, the 3rd generation, and so on, giving it an applicability beyond just the "prosperous 2nd generation". This translation captures the resentment that many hold towards these heirs. In Chinese, the term is almost never used in a positive context, but as a way of explaining why a person behaves in a haughty or irresponsible way.]

now who's talking about Chinese causing a boom??? :p

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Feb, 2018