how far from high voltage power lines

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TheSackedWiggle, 21st Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

How far should be a property from high voltage power lines?

There are some chatter about a research about health concerns linked to less then 200m from HVPlines

What do you guys think?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

From a financial perspective, doesn't matter what anyone thinks except the people who are going to be living there - tenants or people you are selling to (if it is going to be their ppor).

The Y-man

3. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Valuers don't like them. I'm constantly having an uphill battle with them over the4 of them on one of my properties' front yard.

Ironically the tenants are doctors. If there's any health concerns I don't think they would go near it, let alone starting a rent bidding war with another prospective tenants 2 years ago. Yeah small sample but a good enough endorsement for me anyhoot.

4. TheSackedWiggle

Draper found that living less than 200 metersfrom these power lines (in England and Wales) raised the risk of leukemia significantly compared to living at least 600 meters away. The scientific reaction to the Draper study immediate and highly critical.Sep 1, 2014

http://emwatch.com/power-line-emf/

5. TheSackedWiggle

Though some would argue it may not be conclusive evidence,
    why take chances.

6. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yep - they can cause issues with valuers. I've had this problem in the past.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If people can't readily see them there's no problem - just like being over a rail tunnel, road tunnel etc ;)

EMF studies to date have been inconclusive.

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2015
    TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  8. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

9. Scott No Mates

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

OK, you're under power lines, you got a valuer coming out shortly. What do you do?

Simple. Release hundreds of helium balloons as the valuer pulls in the driveway.

When he looks up at them just say "hey, that one looks like a pink elephant! come inside and stop looking at the sky, too much UV rays " lol

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Well-Known Member

Valuers and mortgage insurers don't like them.

Had a deal where the clients where purchasing a block of vacant land and the block behind the security property had power lines running over it. Whilst the block of land was some 60 metres away the insurers noticed it in the valuers photographs and declined the deal.

Had they missed it and the borrowers proceeded with the purchase they probably wouldn't have had the construction loan approved and been left holding a block of vacant land.

IMHO i would avoid a property with such an eyesaw.

Cheers

Richard

12. Scott No Mates

Butterflies are much more effective ;)

13. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Yes, I would believe a guy that's trying to sell you tinfoil hats over scientific studies.

I've got a 110kV line running over my backyard and I did extensive research before buying my PPOR. I couldn't find any scientific study that showed a statistically significant difference in cancers in people living under these power lines and control groups.
    There was some anecdotal evidence about child leukaemia, but that's all it seemed to be.

If you're concerned about EMF, then you shouldn't be worried about high voltage power lines, you should be worried about electricity in general. If you're in your house with the lights on, you're likely to be subjected to a higher EMF than standing right under a power line. In fact, I measured the EMF right under mine and at the local Westfield, care to guess which one was higher?

Plus people seem to be concerned about EMF when there's a overland power line 200m away, but they'll quite happily live in an apartment right on top of an underground power line. Out of sight out of mind.

[/rant]

14. TheSackedWiggle

We have reliable human evidence for the biological effects of EMFs at much higher levels than we would be exposed to at home or work. Very strong EMFs can induce currents in the body that produce immediate physiological responses. Under such extreme conditions, the central nervous system and heart can be affected.

Since the late 1970s, a number of epidemiological studies have looked at cancer rates in populations who live near major power lines, and among electrical workers. Some of the studies have reported an association between exposure to the EMFs from these power lines and increased rates of certain cancers, such as leukaemia in children and cancers of the lymph and central nervous systems in adults. Other epidemiological studies, however, have found no association between EMFs and cancer. Taken as a whole, the epidemiological evidence is inconclusive. A weakness common to all the studies is low statistical power. That is, the population studied is too small or the number of cases of a particular cancer in excess of the normal incidence of that cancer is too low for reasonable certainty. Further studies on much larger populations are needed to establish whether or not a link exists.

http://www.public.health.wa.gov.au/cproot/1372/2/Powerlines_Electromagnetic_Fields_and_Health.pdf

In short they are not denying it, rather saying it not very convincing, Forget cancer, there are lot of other conditions which are linked to living near high voltage power lines like sleep disorders, heart conditions etc which are not as disputed as the cancer claims.

My point is why take chances when it is avoidable.

Rekke likes this.
  15. TheSackedWiggle

Just curious, Why is it a red flag from finance perspective?

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Potentially smaller market for emergency sale due to concerns for EMF.

The Y-man

17. TheSackedWiggle

I know its a big red flag in US markets and is reflected in property price being (10/15%) lower.

Not sure if it is yet in Australian buyer's list of red flags.

18. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

3 valuers all described them as 'social stigma'.

There's some rumours floating around EMF could only do you good - there's a substation right on the edge of James Ruse High...by exposing the kiddies to excessive EMF for 8 hours a day, they've produced some of the most academically gifted kids :p

One fine day likes this.
  19. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Like people having heart attacks in MRI machines all the time?

Also, just because a lot of something is bad, doesn't mean that a bit of it is also bad. Oxygen, water and salt are all examples of things that can kill you in high concentrations, obviously that doesn't mean that we should avoid them.

20. TheSackedWiggle

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O