How does the council parking permit system work ?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by James Baker, 20th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. James Baker

James Baker Well-Known Member

i have come across several properties in Richmond which do not have any parking space

The agent told me that the buyer is entitled to 2 parking permits

I am not aware of how the system works
    Is a spot reserved for me on the street, or do I have to search for any empty spot anywhere in the street and park there?
    Can there be an instance when there are no parking spaces available when I return at night ?

Cheers

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have a look at the council website.

James Baker likes this.
  3. James Baker

I did to through the Yarra council website on the subject

It just says that I am entitled to park. That’s all that I could understand as a layman

It would be great if one of the members who is actually using the facility can advise

Cheers

4. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Usually you get a permit and it entitles you to park on that street if there’s a spot. I don’t think it guarantees a spot, but there should be one as they usually only give two passes per household plus a visitor one. You’ll find neighbors straight on the phone to council if there’s ever cars parked without permits and the inspectors are pretty quick to fine them

James Baker likes this.
  5. James Baker

Is it easy to rent out such properties ?

How big is the issue of no garage considering it’s less than 10 kms from CBD ?

Cheers

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Most inner city houses are on small blocks. Some have rear lane access others not. A growing number are going careless at there are trams nearby.

Parking is a lottery - If you get a slot in your street, crack open a cold. If you get a spot a few streets away, crack open two cans to quench your thirst from walking.

Tenants flock to the area at they can walk to the pub and stagger home or catch an Uber for a few $$

You need to show your utilities bill or other proof of your address to get your permit.

7. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Not all properties in Richmond are entitled to permits. It depends upon when the property was built so best to enquire about a particular address directly with Council.

And they aren't free. Council is dominated by the greens and they are trying to discourage owners having cars which is fanciful. If the property is eligible then you will pay for each permit and the more you have the more you will pay.

Tools

craigc likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s only around $37 for one car and $97 for the second car.

If you can't afford that, you can’t afford a house or to live inner city!

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

When I lived in East St Kilda, it was a bit of a lottery to get a parking space near my place. But everyone was in the same situation - swings and roundabouts.

Not having a garage or car space will put people with expensive cars off, but anyone choosing to live in Richmond knows the parking situation so shouldn't be an issue getting tenants.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia