How does it really take a builder to construct a duplex?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Zak, 25th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Iam having trouble understanding when builder say to construct a two storey , 4 bedroom duplex will take 6 months.

Especially when i drive pass this property building a duplex for over 1 year and still it is incomplete.

What is your experience with a builder for a duplex development? did they actually finish building in 6 months as they say they will or it gets delayed for longer?

love your feedback

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Depends on the builder. Some builders are quite poor in terms of getting construction completed quickly.

For my 34 square PPOR the construction period in the contract was 24 weeks from commencement on site. If builder is good at scheduling trades then I wouldn't expect a duplex to take much longer.

Make sure you have a construction period specified in the contract and that you have clauses in place for liquidated damages if they are late.

That said, primary aim is to select a builder that will use good trades, manage the job properly and stand behind their work. ( i.e. sort out problems without fuss or argument ).

teg499, Esh and Sackie like this.
  3. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Wombat- how would you know that the builder hire good trades? And manages the work properly if you have not dealt with them before?

Also when you put into the contract a fix number of weeks completion and liquidated damages. Does the liquidated dmaages actually works?

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Zak, I would not engage a builder without talking to a previous client of theirs. If the builder won't give you the names and numbers of a couple of previous clients, that sends a pretty clear message.

Esh and Sackie like this.
  5. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

yes certainty.

Depreicator - do you know how long it take to construct a duplex? sorry i missed a word in the forum title.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Do your due-diligence on the builder. Personally and periodically drive past some sites and see what the progress is like. My builder did not have display homes, however I was able to visit two of their homes under construction ( with one of their office staff ) - this was good enough for me.

Don't assume that you will get the same quality of construction as the display homes.

Also use the Product Review websites where possible ( although smaller builders may not get a mention ).

If liquidated damages are written into the contract, then they should work. Note that there are contract rules about rain delays, public holidays etc. Builders will declare in writing when weather has been bad enough to warrant a rain delay being counted.

If the contract terms are significantly altered from the standard Housing Industry Association contract, best to get the contract reviewed by a solicitor.

My builder used the standard contract with no alterations, however I did insert some special conditions ( made it clear to the builder that I was intending to get independent stage inspections done ).

There is lots of good advice on the homeone forums ( http://forum.homeone.com.au/ ), although most people their are building a PPOR.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Has a lack of payment by the owner contributed to the delay?

Esh likes this.
  8. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

remember "building" the "duplex" could also be a separate issue from forward works, civil works and earth works.

you may find there's 9 months of work on site just to get the site ready to lay a slab.

in which case, your 6 months starts after the 9 months of work - for example...

9. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

really?

i was monitoring another site not long around.

1. demolition - took 3 days
    2. once the site is cleared and flat . plumber comes in and do the sewage pipes - max less than a week.
    3. preparation for concrete stab - 1 day set up the border with set wooden plates then 2 -3 days to lay concrete then may another week to let it fully set and dry.

so total is max 3 to 4 weeks.

Please let me know what you meant by 9 months?

10. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

yes a possibly - i have not asked.

11. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Zak

No easy way to answer that

Make sure you select builder with good reputation and track record.

Your HIA or MBA contract will have time line mentioned in it.

12. Aaron Sice

it was an example, as in, not specific to any situation.

13. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

Aaron - ok, so will the builder specify in the contract estimate approx. 9 months for site works and 6 months for construction. The LD kicks in after 15 months if not completed?

BD - how did you make sure you select builder with good reputation and track record?

14. Aaron Sice

yep.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

My experience with choosing a builder was based on clients of theirs locally who had used them. ie word of mouth referral. Of the two I short listed one came across as slow and uncommunicative and was a smaller operator...I had concerns about their cashflow to be honest when a few tradies said the same about them being slow to pay and organise their work. The other was well spoken of as one of the largest in Australia and nobody said a bad word. Tradies, customers and even guy at council. They completed two weeks ahead just under their promised 6 months from submissions of DA / plans and their approach to defects and small changes was brilliant. Supervisor was always about pushing things along. On handover day must have been 50 people on site...But all done including the cleaner who left last.

Tip : Don't make variations. Tenants wont care if its chrome or platinum, polished SS tapware or if door is painted - Stained will require maintenance.. Accept their specs and ensure you do all product , colour etc selections early and don't change them later. Select items for product life eg ceramic mixers, HWS etc. Don't put in a cheap bunnings AC unit. Put in a brand that is known. I spent up on one mod - I had extra tiles between back and front as a hallway rather than carpet. Extra cost of $900 was trivial to destruction of carpet / timber floor in traffic area. Ditto screens, clothes line and TV antenna should be specd in early. Good builders will include that stuff.

Last edited: 25th Aug, 2015
    skuzy, Gingin and Scott No Mates like this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Now why does that make sense?

17. skuzy

skuzy Well-Known Member

HI @Paul@PFI
    Any chance you could PM me details on your builder? im currently shopping around for one

Last edited: 29th Aug, 2015
  18. skuzy

skuzy Well-Known Member

great Tip - thanks

19. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

how do you compare a small builder to Metricon, are they cheaper, faster etc..

20. Scott No Mates

Not hard to beat on price it is quality, reliability, contract conditions, supervision

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.