How do you save time?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 13th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I guess if you want to save time with food, it's good to know which foods are better fresh and which are good when made in advance. I like salad made fresh on the day, which can go well with some types of pasta made in advance (other type dry out). I like veggies fresh on the day (except sweet potato, which I like prepared in advance), which go well with a nice curry. Yes, I am high maintenance. lol

Jennifer Duke, MTR and Xenia like this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol.....might be funny, but as a business........

3. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I used to listen to AM talkback radio.
    Issues may seem relevant, but they are manufactured and not real, part of someone else's agenda or political ideal or social standard. Crap

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Words to live by.
    Helps if you have a waterproof phone like a Sony Xperia, get your drink on and call people while in the shower.

Jennifer Duke and Bran like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hmmm...
    And also pee in the shower too while you're at it. :)

EN710 likes this.
  6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I put my breakfast in the microwave then pee whilst I am waiting.. I don't have 2:22 to wait for it to cook.... Oh and I cook it for 2:22 because it is quick to type... Someone at uni told me that one. #everysecondcounts

7. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

Delegate/Outsource as much as possible, but understand that the ultimate responsibility/accountability for your desired outcome rests with you thus you must have checks/balances in place. Try where possible to delegate in a manner that encourages innovation rather than blindly executing a task and try to delegate to people that have better skills than you and can explain themselves well.

Only delegate/outsource things that you have a reasonable understanding of already, so you understand what is involved, what a good job looks like and what a bad job looks like.

Do not accept mediocrity, stamp it out hard, be clear with people when their work isn't good enough.

Critique your own work as though someone else did it. Always look for ways to improve it. A favourite technique of mine is to finish a task (such as writing a business case), then put it aside for two days and then read it again. I generally find I can remove half of what I wrote and still explain it better!

Erida and Bran like this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I just repeatedly press the start button on my microwave because it just adds 30 seconds with every press. Easy.

Teatowel likes this.
  9. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I'm good at multi-tasking. I watch TV (I know I must be the only one on this thread LOL :p) and fold the washing at the same time. Something my spouse just can't seem to manage despite ongoing requests :D

As far as saving time generally goes, I'm of the opinion that I'm happy, where possible, to outsource those tasks I hate (eg: ironing, online food shopping etc) in order to have more time for those I don't (my work, baking, reading, exercising etc). No good trying to save time if you're simply filling up all the spaces with more "busy-ness"....

10. sleekgeek

sleekgeek Active Member

- Stick to my calendar schedule and never go overtime
    - Turn off mobile notifications from apps i don't want notifications from
    - Getting Things Done methodology for my emails, general sorting things out in life
    - Podcasts while driving. My mobile is set to turn bluetooth on automatically when i leave home and to turn off when i return home, so I can connect the phone quicker.
    - Dual monitor setup at home. one screen for general browing, data. Second screen for concurrent activity such as long distance conversation with my girlfriend.

11. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I also outsource but only the things I don't enjoy.
    For example:
    - Ironing
    - Anything to do with the car ie. Washing it, servicing it, driving it (husband is good for that and labour cost is zero)
    - Home maintenance (the crappy stuff)

There are other more menial things that I could outsource but don't, for example supermarket shopping, cleaning the house (I have OCD tendencies so a cleaner won't cut it), gardening etc. if I get enjoyment from it then I prefer to do it myself as I find it relaxing and therapeutic. Besides how can I feed my OCD if someone else is doing the laundry - what if each peg doesn't match when the clothes are on the line?

Like others I respond to emails on the way to/from work, I catch up on the latest news and updates in my professional field via podcast or online news and I do all banking electronically.

Apparently I'm in the minority here as I watch TV. Clearly that's a waste of time and I should be doing something else!

:)

Jacque and Xenia like this.
  12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I know people who seem to like wasting time, they are tech savvy, yet they go to each place to pay bills (after going to bank to draw cash first), been doing it for decades and they still do. This is a big time waster especially now that many like to send monthly bills.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Those who are not watching TV are on their phones, iPads etc, I feel no guilt, love my fox, Netflix..that's my story and sticking to it

Jacque, Jennifer Duke and Xenia like this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is this while in the shower too?

legallyblonde and mini2 like this.
  15. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

You can take this one step further to save water...while waiting for the hot water to come through, pee during that time so the cold water isn't being wasted. Apparently this saves 5L of water each day (can't find the source).

legallyblonde likes this.
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe, my goodness.
    I hope no one starts on the #2...

17. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Do #2 when you're at work. The office sometimes has better toilet so you can safe water at home.Not sure whether this safe your time tho :rolleyes:

18. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

With 24 hours in a day so much can be done that its not even funny.
    We have big front and back yard and it could take up to three hours on a Saturday. So we have a lovely couple who come past once a month and do the gardening for us. It cost me about $80.00 for them to do it and I can use my time doing some thing else.

I think it is natural to want to control projects etc but to be honest I have taken a view in this light. I pay a builder to do the work and that is it. I would maybe see my site once a week if I am in the area and that is it.

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Don't know about better TP though.
    You could shower at work too!

20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

:( I aspire to be adequate.