How do you measure 'success' in life?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 2nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

Wealth

Health

Good relationships.

Sackie likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@jins13 I Agree. My partner and i have had to be pretty blunt with some ppl who only take and take. There's a fine line between asking for some help and then becoming a leech. I really believe there are no free lunches in life, at some point we all gotta pay our 'tuition' if we want to surpass a certain level.

TadhgMor likes this.
  3. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Yes as Jim Rohn would put it:
    - Economic disaster begins with a philosophy of doing less and wanting more.
    - The few who do are the envy of the many who only watch.
    - Finding is reserved for those that search.
    - For what it will make of you to achieve it.
    - Humans have the remarkable ability to get exactly what they must have. But there is a difference between a “must” and a “want.”
    I like the last one very much....

TadhgMor, Eric Wu and Sackie like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree with all. Most ppl just dismiss them as smartass quotes, but actually they are 'teachings' to help ppl achieve great success imo.

5. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can be the most helpful to a person, by not helping at all.

Blacky

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's what my partner says. Believe it or not I'm the softie...

7. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

nice one @MWI , lots of Jim Rohn's fan here ( I am one as well).

"the more you give, the more you will have"

8. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

He also said:
    - Learn how to say no. Don’t let your mouth overload your back.
    Yes, unfortunately we cannot change ALL, only those willing, hence we also need to learn to say sometimes nothing or 'NO'...

9. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

You are so right, I don't really know how it works but it happens to me, in real life, the more I give the more I have....

Eric Wu likes this.
  10. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Really, I didn't realise that, only that some may not understand them, hence may not be able to put them into practice? When I discovered Jim Rohn, actually via this forum so a BIG THANK YOU, I couldn't stop listening. I forwarded him to my close circle and many told me I may be in danger with my 'obsession'. So I had to learn to stay silent or say 'NO'!
    IMHO, I think we need some obsession as that's how true goals or desires are achieved, with that 'emotional' feeling.
    I know I obsessively wanted my house, not to pay rent, hence I delayed gratifications, found ways without really knowing, but all that was possible because in some way I was obsessed..
    Once I was really dissatisfied with my weight, only then did I act change to live a healthier life...Hence why goals without emotion are not met, there is not BIG enough WHY!
    To lose weight, to have a better relationship, to continue to invest, to have a balanced life, they all take work hence people will not follow through even with having the knowledge without obsessed emotion.
    Good example is the New Years Resolutions set in January, where apparently only few % stick with following month, there was no BIG enough WHY (obsession, emotion, feeling, just wants not true desires).
    Hence that's why many who read "Think and Grow Rich", or "The Secret", don't realise its insufficient just to want, yes that's the first step, BUT they need to have that 'want' that lead them into emotional state that then will result in actual ACTION, hence RESULTS!
    So we could simplify:
    WANTS + FEELINGS = ACTION = RESULTS
    Yes, some will say it is my evangelic approach but I don't know how else to describe it?
    That's why his quotes ARE TRUE LESSONS FOR A BETTER LIFE, But we must follow up with:
    - Don't let your learning lead to knowledge. Let your learning lead to action.

Gockie and Sackie like this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Preaching to the converted my friend ;)

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm a huge Jim Rohn fan too...
    I've posted this to the visual management board at work... I love this quote :)

"The MAJOR key to your future is YOU! If you don't like something change it, you are not a tree!"

(Note: The final part which is "income seldom surpasses your personal growth"... I felt it's not appropriate for me to share that bit on the work board! Managers see it too)

;)

13. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Yes me too, hugeeeeeeeeeee fan, and yes the quotes you mentioned I constatntly drum into my kids ears, even they know them now! And they are hanging right now on my board in my office room too!
    I think when my younger one was on a school retreat last year, we had to write a letter about how great my child is. I actually mentioned some advise in conclusion and mentioned the 'tree' part and all the school kids laughed and loved it too. I am surprised why such philosophy is not taught at schools?
    This is what honestly helped me in my life to move ahead, to deal with adversity and challenges. I hope many more people will discover Jim Rohn and it is so wonderful to be among you, his followers, among his learners and practisers of how to live a better life!

Gockie likes this.
  14. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

For me, success in life means:

- Having the financial freedom to:
    - do work that makes me happy/gives me purpose without worrying about the paycheck
    - go on frequent holidays with my family/loved ones​
    - Raising our kids to be good members of society
    - A strong happy marriage
    - Helping less fortunate people in this world
    - Being in a state of happiness doing all of the above

MWI and HomePage like this.
  15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Being able to live life on my own terms and having the resources available to not have to worry about how to fund it.

Making a positive difference to those around me, human or animal.

Sackie and Gockie like this.